Turkey Fryer

Alufry

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi. We are going to fry for the first time with propane. I saw some oil less ones posted here and understand people love - but it’s not what I want.

It’s going to be used once a year on thanksgiving for a turkey, but also chicken tenders and fries, so needs a basket.

I want something good - that will work right, the first time. I don’t want to spend a million dollars, but also don’t want to go cheap and it not work or need to be replaced next year.

I was looking at Bayou 1118 pot and a burner for it, but I see some kits of other brands that include a burner for less. Do I need stainless?

Any thoughts on a specific pot and burner?

I bought one of those butterball fryers that are like a big french fryer and it works great. You plug in and set temp no messing with propane or trying to keep the temp. Heat drop in turkey and I think it is 4min per lb and done.

I bought one of those butterball fryers that are like a big french fryer and it works great. You plug in and set temp no messing with propane or trying to keep the temp. Heat drop in turkey and I think it is 4min per lb and done.

Thank you! I should have mentioned that.

We had a butterball one, but had to use it outside. Because of the cold weather we were never able to get it up to temperature so it took a long time and really didn’t cook properly.

Thanks for the suggestion but really want to use propane.

Just be sure you use it well away from anything you don't want to burn.
Many fires have been started by folks accidentally dropping their bird, sloshing the oil into the flame, and it's GAME ON!

I brought home a freezer full of crab from Washington. I bought a propane turkey fryer, then bought a Natural Gas burner on Ebay so I could just hook it up to my gas line I use for my que.
It makes a great boiler, if you like seafood like crab or clams.
But water isn't flammable....

My BIL had a turkey fryer, but quit because of the oil needed. As in getting rid of it afterwords.

Things to think about. :wink:

Just be sure you use it well away from anything you don't want to burn.
Many fires have been started by folks accidentally dropping their bird, sloshing the oil into the flame, and it's GAME ON!

I brought home a freezer full of crab from Washington. I bought a propane turkey fryer, then bought a Natural Gas burner on Ebay so I could just hook it up to my gas line I use for my que.
It makes a great boiler, if you like seafood like crab or clams.
But water isn't flammable....

My BIL had a turkey fryer, but quit because of the oil needed. As in getting rid of it afterwords.

Things to think about. :wink:

Thanks. I get it. I’ve watched the videos and safety.

I know everyone has opinions. It’s a once a year things that’s an activity on thanksgiving. Not worries about wasting oil etc - this is a secondary turkey.

I’m set on using propane and oil - just need a good set.

Thanks.

I have used the Bayou for some 30 years with various generic burners like you intend, once a year. Sometimes I do two birds back to back depending on the crowd. The oil (peanut) costs more than the bird but, hey, it's once a year and a holiday. 3-3 1/2 min. per pound and its done. The temp will vary especially at first when you dunk the bird but its all calculated into the 3-3/2.

The father in law bought one from bass pro. I think they have a couple different ones that may come with different pots/accessories....I'm not sure which one he got.

He did end up getting a large piece of flexible metal (stands probably 4 ft high) that is circular in shape, split down the length, and he uses this around the cooker and pot as a windscreen/shield. It must have been some kind of duct pipe. It's flexible and big enough to easily "enclose" the cooker about 80%, and still be at least 18" away from the sides. Even though this is an extra he found to use and looks less than ideal, it works well to not only protect cooker and flame, but shields the pot as well which i think helps stabilize temps to a degree.

Some cookers have a type of wind screen built in. Just something to think about.

The fried turkey at Thanksgiving is a delightful thing when done right. I believe he uses peanut oil, but theboil can be quite a cost by itself. He has since uses the fryer for many other things, especially boiled peanuts!

I have used the Bayou for some 30 years with various generic burners like you intend, once a year. Sometimes I do two birds back to back depending on the crowd. The oil (peanut) costs more than the bird but, hey, it's once a year and a holiday. 3-3 1/2 min. per pound and its done. The temp will vary especially at first when you dunk the bird but its all calculated into the 3-3/2.

Thank you! Do you think a stainless pot is necessary?

Looking at a Bayou Classic sp10 or GasOne B-5300. Any other suggestions for a burner. I want a good hot flame - it could be cold outside. I’ll want one with a wind shield.

The stainless pots are not super-expensive because most are not very thick. I've had a few for 15 plus years that still work fine today. Couple words of advice:

- Buy a burner with a stand that has a wide base and will not tip over easily. Last thing you want to do is tip over hot oil and Turkey. If you want to cook away from the house in your yard, lay down some bricks, plywood, etc. underneath to keep your stand level and not sinking into the ground.

- Water test first. Put your Wrapped Turkey in the pot and fill with water to cover. Remove Turkey and measure how much water is left, that's how much oil you will need in the pot for frying. Drop the Turkey very slowly, you will get a lot of steam at first as water is vaporized, and you don't want it boiling over.

- Take temps with a thermometer during your cook and don't just rely on time. I overcooked my first couple of birds because I simply could not believe how fast they cooked!

- IMO two 14 pound birds are better than one 28 pound bird. Smaller birds cook faster, and 2 of them means more crispy skin to go around.

- Get a broomstick or metal rod to pull out the turkey on its hook when it is done cooking. The best way is to do this is with a friend holding one end and you holding the other so you don't have to stick your face directly over the fry oil. I like to lay down newspaper and let the turkey drain on that for a couple of minutes before bringing it inside.

- Post pics for us to drool over!!!

The stainless pots are not super-expensive because most are not very thick. I've had a few for 15 plus years that still work fine today. Couple words of advice:

Thank you! All things I have been reading. For sure the broomstick and plywood to put down on the grass.

I’d love some specific burner advise tho. Model numbers? Been looking and want to be sure enough psi etc. Wide base good idea also.

You guys have been great. Thx.

I have a Brinkmann propane turkey fryer my dad gave me years ago and it still works great. I've never fried a turkey but I bought a shallower aluminum pot for frying chicken and fish and I use the big turkey pot for shrimp/crawfish boils. Anyhow, it was an inexpensive cooker. You can find them for as little as $39 (Bass Pro).

Buy a burner with a stand that has a wide base and will not tip over easily. Last thing you want to do is tip over hot oil and Turkey. If you want to cook away from the house in your yard, lay down some bricks, plywood, etc. underneath to keep your stand level and not sinking into the ground.

- Water test first. Put your Wrapped Turkey in the pot and fill with water to cover. Remove Turkey and measure how much water is left, that's how much oil you will need in the pot for frying. Drop the Turkey very slowly, you will get a lot of steam at first as water is vaporized, and you don't want it boiling over.

Get a broomstick or metal rod to pull out the turkey on its hook when it is done cooking. The best way is to do this is with a friend holding one end and you holding the other so you don't have to stick your face directly over the fry oil. I like to lay down newspaper and let the turkey drain on that for a couple of minutes before bringing it inside.

Key SAFETY advice here. Too many horror stories of people stating major house killing fires trying to fry turkeys.

That hot oil is napalm hitting an open flame.

Alright. Here's the deal. I posted the oil less turkey fryer thread after maybe doing over or close to 1000 deep fried Cajun fried turkeys for many years. Did them in peanut oil. That stuff ain't cheap around here! Finally started looking for a better way. When I found it, it was oil less. Here's the link. At least read the fist few pages before deciding.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200865

On edit I will have to rebuild this thread. I still have original pics. In the meantime, go oil less Char-Broil.

You don't need a stainless pot. Bayou Classic is good. There original post were aluminum. They are local to me and have a scratch and dent showroom., or did, it's been a while since I went. I always had the oil about 30 degrees hotter initially, as the temp drops when the bird hits. I gave it an extra 5 minutes, if the bird was over 12 lbs. I eventually went to the Oiless fryer...

Here's my 2¢ from a Cajun that uses a burner at least 20 times a year from frying to boiling. You don't need a SS pot, aluminum works fine and always clean it before storing.

If I had to start over I would get this burner, it's cheap and throws out more heat(105K btu's) than most turkey fryer burners(30K to 50K btu's). I've had this one about 12 years and I've replaced the regulator once.

I would buy this kit and use this burner(33K btu's) for fries, chicken tenders and fish. The good thing about having a low output burner is you can always use it to cook anything that you would on the stove like a big pot of Gumbo for LSU football games!!!!:loco::loco:

For $135 this will get you all the tools needed to do both at the same time and if you ever decide to do a big seafood boil you'll be glad you have a high output burner to get the water boiling fast.

And don't panic when you crank that regulator to start warming the oil, it's supposed to sound like a jet engine so loud to have to scream at people 3' from you, Let her rip!!

Here's my 2¢ from a Cajun that uses a burner at least 20 times a year from frying to boiling. You don't need a SS pot, aluminum works fine and always clean it before storing.

If I had to start over I would get this burner, it's cheap and throws out more heat(105K btu's) than most turkey fryer burners(30K to 50K btu's). I've had this one about 12 years and I've replaced the regulator once.

I would buy this kit and use this burner(33K btu's) for fries, chicken tenders and fish. The good thing about having a low output burner is you can always use it to cook anything that you would on the stove like a big pot of Gumbo for LSU football games!!!!:loco::loco:

For $135 this will get you all the tools needed to do both at the same time and if you ever decide to do a big seafood boil you'll be glad you have a high output burner to get the water boiling fast.

And don't panic when you crank that regulator to start warming the oil, it's supposed to sound like a jet engine so loud to have to scream at people 3' from you, Let her rip!!

Thank you! I’m going to stick with the ss bayou classic pots, but your burner linked looks great.

Back