THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chett. L

is one Smokin' Farker
Yesterday was my 2nd attempt cooking with the pellet smoker. I smoked the New York Steaks for 2 hours at 225 then took off for 10 minutes in the cooler while I turned the smoker up to 400 for about 2 minutes each side.

Next time I will try smoking for 1 hour at 225 then 400 for a couple of minutes.

What are some other methods I can try for cooking steaks on the smoker?

I want work my way up to making baby backs, Pork butt, and a small brisket.

Yesterday I told my wife I want a bigger BBQ Smoker. :blabla:

Thank you.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 274
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 274
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 273
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 272
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 272
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 272
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 274
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 275
I would get away from trying to work on a time based method. When I do steaks like this I will put a steak on until the internal temp is around 110. Then I set aside (I do not put in a cooler, you could even put it back in the fridge if you want) and get the grill good and hot. Sear on each side until desired texture or until temp hits your desired number (I pull off around 120-125 and let it rest a few minutes).

Too many variables to tell you what 1 hour vs 2 hours is going to mean on any given day.

They look beautiful. 2 hours at 225 will cook a pork tenderloin to medium rare or medium, so for a steak, you are learning. Keep up the good smoking!

If you need a simple device to help with this two stage cook... I recommend the thermoworks "Dot". I just got one of these recently and love it for this type of cook. Inexpensive and super simple to use, set a target temp, leave the probe in the meat, the alarm goes off when you get there. Enjoy your practice!

I do the opposite, sear first side on high, then flip and turn to smoke setting. As the grill cools is self down it bellows out more smoke and gives a nice flavor.

Good looking steak. Just keep practicing and you are on your way. I personally think steak is the most difficult thing for me to cook. I have trust issues of only cooking it a few min. each side and always get closer to done than I want.

I would get away from trying to work on a time based method. When I do steaks like this I will put a steak on until the internal temp is around 110. Then I set aside (I do not put in a cooler, you could even put it back in the fridge if you want) and get the grill good and hot. Sear on each side until desired texture or until temp hits your desired number (I pull off around 120-125 and let it rest a few minutes).

Too many variables to tell you what 1 hour vs 2 hours is going to mean on any given day.

Thank you!

Buddy.. Look at this message with a good heart. Your over thinking everything! I've noticed from your other threads.. you are over thinking it waaaay to much trying to cook this way.. Don't worry about your times!

Get your self an instant read thermometer... Go by temp's especially on steak! If you want medium/medium well I would go 130 IT on the smoker.. then hot grill it to sear.. I'm not one to tell people how to eat their steaks... But It's hard to look at a nice ribeye cooked to over well done LOL..

If your wanting to learn how to BBQ your going to have to get away from fixed time frames on cooking.. It's not how BBQ works.. BBQ is cooked by feel.. and can be based on temps.. but I have never had luck saying "oh.. I gotta cook this for 3 hours and it will be perfect".. Just being completely honest here.. I See so many people just learning the art of cooking or even BBQ go by fixed times and it just never works out..

Let's see.... For instance.. Brisket Cook by temp til it hits 190-195 internal temp... Then you finish it by feel, Probing it til it probes tender.. Which happens anywhere from 190-210... Mostly in the 200+ range.. Pork butt... Easiest cut of meat to cook.. You get a bone in pork butt.. Cook til it hits 200+ degree's if the bone wiggles out with no resistance.. That's how you tell a pork butt is done.

This is not meant to be a negative way to respond to your thread.. But I feel cooking by time is a flawed way to cook.. Use the Time frame as a reference but it is never a guarantee .. Each oven is different, Each smoker is different, Each environment is different. Just to help a fellow brethern out!

Last edited:
Buddy.. Look at this message with a good heart. Your over thinking everything! I've noticed from your other threads.. you are over thinking it waaaay to much trying to cook this way.. Don't worry about your times!

Get your self an instant read thermometer... Go by temp's especially on steak! If you want medium/medium well I would go 130 IT on the smoker.. then hot grill it to sear.. I'm not one to tell people how to eat their steaks... But It's hard to look at a nice ribeye cooked to over well done LOL..

If your wanting to learn how to BBQ your going to have to get away from fixed time frames on cooking.. It's not how BBQ works.. BBQ is cooked by feel.. and can be based on temps.. but I have never had luck saying "oh.. I gotta cook this for 3 hours and it will be perfect".. Just being completely honest here.. I See so many people just learning the art of cooking or even BBQ go by fixed times and it just never works out..

This is not meant to be a negative way to respond to your thread.. Just to help a fellow brethern out!

To add to this a bit... Every time you see a website or article that is telling you how to cook something by time, ignore it and find a better source. If your recipe says "7 minutes per side over medium heat" find a better source! Learn the desired final internal temperatures for what you like to cook, and cook to those temperatures. experiment on different ways to get there! Know that the steak will continue to cook for awhile after you remove it from heat.

I recommend reading a book like Meathead Goldwyn's book "The science to great bbq and grilling" or similar.

90% of the web cooking resources tell you to cook by time. 100% of those are flat wrong.

Let's see.... For instance.. Brisket Cook by temp til it hits 190-195 internal temp... Then you finish it by feel, Probing it til it probes tender.. Which happens anywhere from 190-210... Mostly in the 200+ range.. Pork butt... Easiest cut of meat to cook.. You get a bone in pork butt.. Cook til it hits 200+ degree's if the bone wiggles out with no resistance.. That's how you tell a pork butt is done.

This is not meant to be a negative way to respond to your thread.. But I feel cooking by time is a flawed way to cook.. Use the Time frame as a reference but it is never a guarantee .. Each oven is different, Each smoker is different, Each environment is different. Just to help a fellow brethern out!

Are you kidding. If I saw you I would give you a big hug. Okay maybe not.
All joking aside, I have ZERO EGO when it comes to BBQ Smoking. I need all the criticism I can get. I am very teachable. The factory is sending me a new Temp Prob. The one that came with the unit is broken. I am going to buy a back up pocket Prob today.

Thank you!!!

If you need a simple device to help with this two stage cook... I recommend the thermoworks "Dot". I just got one of these recently and love it for this type of cook. Inexpensive and super simple to use, set a target temp, leave the probe in the meat, the alarm goes off when you get there. Enjoy your practice!

Thank you!

Buying one today.

Are you kidding. If I saw you I would give you a big hug. Okay maybe not.
All joking aside, I have ZERO EGO when it comes to BBQ Smoking. I need all the criticism I can get. I am very teachable. The factory is sending me a new Temp Prob. The one that came with the unit is broken. I am going to buy a back up pocket Prob today.

Thank you!!!

Hey man we all gotta start somewhere... I'm at the point where I just cook.. and stop worrying about too much stuff.. That's when it gets fun.

To add to this a bit... Every time you see a website or article that is telling you how to cook something by time, ignore it and find a better source. If your recipe says "7 minutes per side over medium heat" find a better source! Learn the desired final internal temperatures for what you like to cook, and cook to those temperatures. experiment on different ways to get there! Know that the steak will continue to cook for awhile after you remove it from heat.

I recommend reading a book like Meathead Goldwyn's book "The science to great bbq and grilling" or similar.

90% of the web cooking resources tell you to cook by time. 100% of those are flat wrong.

Wow. Great advise.

I take a look at the book now.

Thank you!

Do yourself a favor and pick up a thermworks instant read pen. Cook the steak on high heat then turn down and let the residual heat finish the steak off, as others have said. Don't over think it sir. Ive had ribs DONE in 2 hours before and questioned everything that day lol. There is an old rule called KISS, keep it simple stupid and i take that to heart every time i fire up the grill. Cook, have fun, laugh at your mistakes and keep improving.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a thermworks instant read pen. Cook the steak on high heat then turn down and let the residual heat finish the steak off, as others have said. Don't over think it sir. Ive had ribs DONE in 2 hours before and questioned everything that day lol. There is an old rule called KISS, keep it simple stupid and i take that to heart every time i fire up the grill. Cook, have fun, laugh at your mistakes and keep improving.

Hi Nate,

Thank you. Just ordered one today.
All good advise.

Back