How to lower temperature on pit barrel cooker

edmh007

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Ok I have a PBC and love it. However, when I do ribs they cook to fast! I have measured the internal temperature at 325 ( average ). I suspect using less charcoal will lower the temperature. Also - has anyone tried to close off the vent at the bottom ( close it completely )

Thanks -
Ed.

You could ask it politely.

Seriously, the way it was designed. It should start that hot but will settle down as the cook proceeds.

Personally i dont see why it doesn't have proper intakes other than to save manufacturing cost.

Ive been using my method, works great

I only start with 10 to 15 briquettes. A 1/4 chimney full, especially if using the large weber brand one, will yield too hot of a temp when they are completely ashed over. Next time try only 10 or 12 briquettes and see if that helps. Works great for me. Also, I've learned that the PBC is a cooker that likes to heat up but not cool down and since their is no effective way to control intake, the temps depends a lot on how hot your starting fire is aka how many lit briquettes you start with.

My $.02..

My temps are around 250-275 at the grate.

I just let it run like it was designed. If you are really into tweaking, get a wsm. I actually think ribs getting done quickly is a good thing. The PBC excels at ribs and chickens right out of the box.

From what I've seen & read the PBC is about fool proof right out the box. Maybe you need to adjust to the pit instead of the other way round. Nothing wrong with cooking ribs over 275. Don't sweat the small stuff life is full of stress BBQ shouldn't add to it.

You could ask it politely.

Seriously, the way it was designed. It should start that hot but will settle down as the cook proceeds.

Personally i dont see why it doesn't have proper intakes other than to save manufacturing cost.
Wrong. It is so you won't mess with perfection.
Loosen vent bolt and close the vent some. Or use a magnet. If you are using a thermometer, you are already traveling to the dark aide, why not go all the way.

I'm not sure why I'm the first to say this, but adjust your intake. It doesn't take much, close it just slightly. You have to understand the PBC is designed to run between about 260-330. That's a fairly big range if you are picky about temps (I am so I'm with you there). Using the settings of 1/4 open or 1/2 open depending on elevation will not help you get a particular temp, but it will get you close. I used that as a baseline. Plus your idea of 1/4 open and mine are gonna be different, thus different cook temps, right? You will have to tweak it until you get what you like. The lowest temp I cook at (and mostly use) is 275°. I set mine up to run at that temp. When I wanna go higher it's easy to crack the lid. Figure out which temp you will use most and setup the intake for that temp. Just loosen your intake screw slightly and make the adjustments you need. Once you are happy with the cook, tighten the screw and you are good.
Unless you use the lighter fluid lighting method, another thing you can do as well to tweak temps, and in your case lower temps, is to use a couple less lit coals to start (most people use 40). I've been laughed at (by folks without a PBC) by stating this before but it works, trust me.. I typically use 36.....if you use lighter fluid obviously you aren't counting coals so this wouldn't apply.

Also, if you use the lighter fluid method you will initially get much higher temps that will settle down. If you light coal in a chinmey it'll come right up to temp pretty much right away. It may overshoot for 5-10 minutes but you should wait about 15 min after dumping the lit coals to put your meat in anyway. And it won't go over by much. Maybe 15-25°. But it's settles down really quick.

Good luck!

Wrong. It is so you won't mess with perfection.
Loosen vent bolt and close the vent some. Or use a magnet. If you are using a thermometer, you are already traveling to the dark aide, why not go all the way.

Its my experience that when deciding how many coals to light or how much to start with the answer is a moving target. Same goes for intake position. Bbq is about feel. Not some formula that says light 40 bricks with 3 oz of lighter fluid with the intake at 3/4.

All moot anyway cause if it starts at 350 then drops some he is going to have some simple no fuss ribs, just the ways the pbc was designed to do. :thumb:

All moot anyway cause if it starts at 350 then drops some he is going to have some simple no fuss ribs, just the ways the pbc was designed to do. :thumb:

Not sure where you are trying to go with this but unless the PBC is lit with lighter fluid (ssomething I do not do by the way) it does NOT start at 350 and drop some, like you've stated twice now.

Last edited:
Not sure where you are trying to go with this but unless the PBC is lit with lighter fluid (ssomething I do not do by the way) it does NOT start at 350 and drop some, like you've stated twice now.

Exactly where I'm going is if you follow the instructions and use fluid the temp starts there. Nttawwt

Result

After reading a few tips here I did not tweak anything. Let the ribs cook for 2 and 1/4 hours, glazed em for another 20 and they were superb! Thanks for all the tips and the link to the PBC appreciation thread too.

The PBC website recommends two methods to light the coals. Their video first shows the chimney method and although it says to put about 1/3 of the coals in the chimney, it's probably pretty close to the 40 that Andrew uses.

The other method is lighter fluid. I have been using that method lately but since I stopped taking the PBC's temperature I'm not really sure where it starts out. Probably depends on how long you let the coals burn before adding your food and closing the lid. Noah recommends 15 to 20 minutes depending on elevation.

With the PBC you are the MOYD.

Ive been using my method, works great

My temps are around 250-275 at the grate.

My temps are exactly the same. With that said I will also agree with another post as well about the PBC not liking to cool down. I noticed on one cook that I was really paying attention to the temp on that very time I cracked the lid for more than a minute the temp went up about 10 to 15 degrees and never came down

Im late to this thread.....but is there a problem with the ribs being done too fast? I mean, if they taste good, isn't being able to turn them out faster a good thing?

Back