Smitty, I was pretty happy with the trisket

bowhnter

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Mike
Too bad I had to leave before I got to try yours last week, but this one turned out fairly decent.

Seasoned with Montreal and onto the Weber 26 at 250-275 for a couple hours.

This is about 155* and heading into a foil pan with a bit of liquid. Increased heat to 300.

Took it out at 198*.

Rested 30 minutes and separated at the grain change.

Pretty tasty stuff, and I will be doing this again.

Interesting. I love TriTip, but in my area they are pretty lean. Doubt this method would work for me.

I love tri-tip but have never cooked it like this. Looks great!

It would be interesting to (1) smoke it to 130°F, sear it over a wood fire, slice it, and serve it with chimichurri and Malbec, (2) cook it the same way and serve it in flame kissed flour tortillas with crumbled cotija cheese, avocado slices, pico de gallo, cilantro, and Corona with a lime, (3) cook it the way you did here . . . and see if there was a favorite.

Something tells me it would all get eaten!

I was pretty surprised. It was still fork tender and easily would have worked in a tortilla.
It was not dry, as I thought it would be.
I left most the fat cap on so that helped.
It would work on a loaded baked potato, or as leftovers in the baked beans like it was tonight.

Last edited:
I was pretty surprised. It was still fork tender and easily would have worked in a tortilla.
It was not dry, as I thought it would be.
I left most the fat cap on so that helped.
It would work on a loaded baked potato, or as leftovers in the baked beans like it was tonight.

I think the fact that you are in TX makes a huge difference. In my area TriTip is somewhere between Select and Choice. Its labeled as Choice or not labeled at all. If i wanted prime it would cost $15+ pound. Last time i got choice it was $7.99/LB aND LIKE I SAID ITS PRETTY LEAN. Its great cooked med rare, but if i want to cook to brisket temps, im cooking brisket. Prime is less the $5/lb at walmart.

That looks great :)

I do a lot of tri-tip but they only sell fully trimmed here (unless I pay $$$ to have the butcher cut it) so no fat cap. Better cooked as a tri-tip around here.

Back