New Smoker Wanted

mikes1212

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Any advice out there from some of you experienced guys for someone who is looking to buy a new smoker?

Would you be willing to share your experiences with (example...) make, model, plusses, minuses with the model. How is the company to work with? Recommend options?

I'm looking for a smoker that would handle to minimum 4 whole racks of baby backs (not having to cut then down to fit), or St. Louise style ribs, and maybe a Butt or two, with one or two briskets.

I know this is allot to ask for but any information is welcome!

Michael Scheiman

What is your experience level? What is your budget? Are you looking for a stick burner (traditional offset or reverse flow)? How much do you want to tend the pit?

I'm selling my big steel keg ;) It can fit 5 racks on there with out using a rib rack or cutting them! $375 and she's your's! Pics can be found in the for sale part of this forum!

Need a little bit more info as mentioned above. Pellet/sticks/RF/Traditional/Coal/Gravity Fed/Insulated/Water and of course budget

Thanks for the quick replies!

Budget, around $2000.00. Less would be best, but for the right smoker, I could go a tad higher.

The type of cooking: smoking ribs, butts, chicken, sausages, brisket, salmon/fish, for 15 to 50 people (+ or -).

I have been using a lg. and extra lg. BGE for about 10 years now. Often it takes me 3 sessions in the eggs to get things done. I figured putting more (everything) onto one larger grill would make things easier. I like charcoal, and want to stay with that, so not looking at pellet fuel.

The type, offset (stick burner), vertical, reverse flow. I was hoping to get your point of view on what would be best suited to get the job done. Easy, set and forget, steady temps is a BIG Plus!

Obviously I'm a rookie, and I need your help to even post enough info for your help. I can add more as requested! :grin:

Michael

Set and forget youll looking for a cabinet style insulated. I obviously prefer Stumps because it's what I have and know, however for 2k your looking around the baby XL price range. No way I could cook 15-50 people on my baby unless I did nothing but butts, even still couldn't touch near 50.

Those Lang smokers are a viable option for that price range but I'm thinking you would need a rig bigger than a 48 to feed 50 people on one cook. I've used cheaper offsets but they require tons of babysitting. To do 4 racks of ribs you could get a cabinet smoker but your still gonna have to tend to that as well. For 2k you should be able to find something nice for what your looking to accomplish.

You'll want to check out Humphrey's smokers. They are out of Maine and super nice people to work with. Their craftsmanship/workmanship is some of the best I've seen!!! You will not be disappointed with one of their cookers!!! I have a Battlebox and a half pint and soon to be a Qube'd pint!!!!

If you think you might be interested in tending a stick burner, you won't find a better one in your budget: http://www.shirleyfabrication.com/. I personally have not cooked on one, but use the search tool and you will find that folks love these cookers and they sure seem to be more fuel effecient than most. One of the smaller patio models sounds like it might fit your needs. Ain't nothin like cookin with wood!

Thank you for getting me started here.... SmittyJonz, Smokin Hoggz, dwfisk and others, thanks for the link too! Lots of models I had never seen before!

I'm not mush of a tinker and build type, so I would probably bypass on a UDS. A set and forget would nice, but not 100% necessary... Besides, who wouldn't like it easy. My BGE's are not that easy. Sometimes they are!

I might have contact SF about their 24Ă—50 Patio Model w/ Warmer and get additional info!

Michael

I'll vouch on the customer service SF has, I have an offset on order from them and Paul is very professional and polite. His prices are very fair, and although I don't have one yet, everyone who does says the craftsmanship is dead on perfection. I can't wait for the end of February for my smoker.

I still think you need to decide how much you want to tend the fire. Even on the best stick burner, you are looking at a minimum of once an hour. There is no sleeping on the job. I am not trying to discourage you. I use exactly what you are looking at (a stick burner with a warmer box) and wouldn't trade it for all the convenience in the world. That being said, if you really do want to "set it and forget it" there are a lot of great smokers out there (a gravity fed would probably fit your needs though a large one is going to be a little pricey).

I like my backwoods that being said you can probably get a humpheys that will have a better build quality (from what i hear) my bw cooks wickedly but it was built fast and it shows, I dont expect perfection but there was some fairly large burn through welds and the pannels at the bottom dont fit straight, dont read this wrong i like my backwoods and am in no way against buying another

If you are looking for a stick burner, the easy choice is Shirley Fabrication. I bought one of Pauls cookers about a year and a half ago and he is currently building another one for me. You will get a bigger cooker at a better price than his competition.
If you decide to go that route you better let him know. He is getting a lot of orders now and you better get in line.
Good luck and I hope you find the cooker that fits you.

Another vote for Shirley Fabrication if you decide to go the stick burner route. I picked up mine from him a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I also have a big green egg for the times I want a set and forget type. Lots of good smokers out there, you just have to decide on what type you want. The stick burners will require attention every 45 min to an hour.

Back