First Tri-Tip w/PRON

NeoTrout

is Blowin Smoke!
Got some tri-tip from Costco this weekend. Its the first time I have seen it around these parts, so I had to give it a shot.
Tri-Tip1.jpg

Rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic and paprika.
Tri-Tip2.jpg
[/IMG]
Indirect cook on the kettle with charcoal and a stick of hickory.
Tri-Tip3.jpg

Came out pretty good. I think I overcooked it just a little. (Too many beers.) I took it off at 135*, tented w/ foil and rested for 20 min. Overall a good try.
Flame.jpg

EZ clean-up! Did I mention I got a flamethower this weekend too?! :icon_cool

Looks like a couple of good looking pieces of meat. I much prefer 125F for tri-tip, rare to medium rare is what I think allows this cut to really sing. A good start though.

"Came out pretty good. I think I overcooked it just a little. (Too many beers.) I took it off at 135*, tented w/ foil and rested for 20 min. Overall a good try."

As long as it was because the beer your fine. Still looks good to me.

Personally I think the flamethrower looks waaayyy cooler than the food, but that's just IMHO!

I totally agree with Landarc. But with enough beers, I probably wouldn't notice that it was a little overcooked:biggrin:

Incidentally, the weedburner works great for roasting peppers to loosen the skin - I now use it routinely for poblanos.

Very good on your first tri tips. I am glad that tri tip is now being marketed east of the Rockies. It primarilly has been a "west coast" cut.

I would like to be critical in one area---do not take it wrong--my only reason to be critical is to help you improve your tri tip.

Time is spent preparing the meat, and time is spent cooking the meat----yet the most common mistake with tri tip takes only a few brief minutes. Tri Tip is most tender when sliced 90% pependicular to the grain.

The Tri-Tip is shaped like a boomerang. The boomerang has a point and two wings.When you look at a tri tip to slice it---it makes sense to start at one wing end and work towards the other wing-----just as you have done in your picture. Cutting the tri tip in that manner gives you uniform sized pieces. However --cutting a tri tip in that fashion is cutting the tri tip paralleel to the grain. Lay the point of the tri tip to your right if you are right handed---and start cutting at the tip---the slices will not be uniform in length----but they will be against the grain and more tender. The grain in tri tip is very pronounced and easy to see. Cutting with the grain gives you long stringy slices of tri tip---cutting against the grain makes those "grains" only as long as your slice is wide---usually 1/8 inch.

Next time that you do 2 tri tips-----slice one each way---try it yourself. When you see how tender that it can be---you will thank me for being a critical smart azz.

Very good on your first tri tips. I am glad that tri tip is now being marketed east of the Rockies. It primarilly has been a "west coast" cut.

I would like to be critical in one area---do not take it wrong--my only reason to be critical is to help you improve your tri tip.

Time is spent preparing the meat, and time is spent cooking the meat----yet the most common mistake with tri tip takes only a few brief minutes. Tri Tip is most tender when sliced 90% pependicular to the grain.

The Tri-Tip is shaped like a boomerang. The boomerang has a point and two wings.When you look at a tri tip to slice it---it makes sense to start at one wing end and work towards the other wing-----just as you have done in your picture. Cutting the tri tip in that manner gives you uniform sized pieces. However --cutting a tri tip in that fashion is cutting the tri tip paralleel to the grain. Lay the point of the tri tip to your right if you are right handed---and start cutting at the tip---the slices will not be uniform in length----but they will be against the grain and more tender. The grain in tri tip is very pronounced and easy to see. Cutting with the grain gives you long stringy slices of tri tip---cutting against the grain makes those "grains" only as long as your slice is wide---usually 1/8 inch.

Next time that you do 2 tri tips-----slice one each way---try it yourself. When you see how tender that it can be---you will thank me for being a critical smart azz.

Thanks. Thats a good way to remember how to slice correctly. Even though I'm left handed. :icon_cool

LOL----Left handed---what are the chances?----I almost wrote "Point the tip of the boomerand left if you are left handed. Godd luck in your cooking fun

Sure would like to find some Tri Tip around here.Looks great

I have been looking and looking. I've been wanting to try one since the first week I started reading this. I'll have to go into the city and hit a few butcher shops.

the 20 minute rest may have done u in a little. I test doneness by pressing and generally let her rest 10 minutes. If I had to guess I"m probably pulling at 130 based on what I'm seeing in your photos.

Nice lookin dinner.
I overdid my first tri-tip also and now make sure I take it off at 125. I gotta try Chuckwagons method of slicing next time.

Back