Hard Fat on Beef Ribs

Dmars13

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
For those of you that have done beef ribs, how much do you trim them before putting them on the smoker? The past 2 racks I've done from RD had quite a bit of hard fat and I'm not sure whether I should trim that all the way down, trim it down season what's underneath and put the fat back on, or just leave it untrimmed???

IMO, they are rich enough as it is... trim all hard fat and only leave 1/8" at most of the good stuff. I usually try and get most of the meat showing so I can get the seasoning on it.

I remove as much of the fat on top as possible, I don't throw it away, I will find a use for it. But, I like the meat to get as much contact with the rub as possible. This is different than what I do with brisket, where I want a little fat cap.

I trim off as much fat as I can. Then I'll semi-freeze it, run it through a grinder, and render tallow. Fry some taters in that tallow and you'll be glad you did.

Love that idea! Can you go into a bit more detail about "render tallow" ?

sorry for the hijack. Just got to hear this one!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Love that idea! Can you go into a bit more detail about "render tallow" ?

sorry for the hijack. Just got to hear this one!

Just throw the ground up fat with about a quarter cup of water (keeps fat from sticking/burning and will eventually steam off) in a crock pot. I've been setting it on high, as it takes for farking ever to do it on low and there's no difference in results on either temp. Anyway, let it go until there's just little brown bits kinda floating in the tallow. Rubber band some cheesecloth over a jar or other container, and ladle melted fat into jar, straining out the solids with the cheesecloth. Let cool, close up jar, and stick in fridge. Great for all kinds of stuff - frying, making leftover BBQ hash, etc. Doesn't suck when used in combination with bacon grease.

I cut as much fat off that I can because there is more than enough fat content in the meat to keep it moist .

Last edited:
Like everybody else I remove as much as I can, along with the silverskin. Shortribs are normally marbled nicely with fat.

Back