Internal Temperature for Chicken - thoughts?

slider2021

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
The Dark Bark
TARGET INTERNAL TEMPERATURE FOR CHICKEN*

This one took a while for me to adjust to, but now, it's like I've been blind and now can see. We've been taught to cook chicken to 165F, right? This blanket, highly generalized recommendation is so deceitful. Yes, your chicken will be safe to eat. But no, your chicken won't necessarily taste good. What? Well, let me explain. Dark chicken meat cooked to the 'safe' 165F sucks. Ok, some may like it, but I feel like it's tough and tastes undercooked. It needs to get to at least 185F to become truly tender and succulent.

What about chicken breasts? It gets even more interesting. Chicken breast becomes dry when smoked to 165F. So, what's the solution? It's simple: cook it to a lower temperature. Is chicken meat cooked to less than 165F safe to eat? Absolutely! Wait, what? Let me explain. The 165F is the general recommendation to make sure everyone and their brother gets it right. It's the temperature at which all harmful bacteria are destroyed instantly.

However, the destruction of harmful bacteria is not just about the temperature, it's about the temperature and the time at which chicken meat spends at that temperature. For example, if you smoke your chicken breast to 155F and hold it at that temperature for a minute - the meat will be 100% safe to eat. But it will be much juicier, with a more tender, delicate texture compared to the one cooked to 165F.

What do you guys think?

Source: Taste of Artisan (May 2020) https://tasteofartisan.com/smoked-chicken-breast/

You are spot on, IMO.

155° Breasts
185° Thighs

From what I have read, many prefer Sous Vide breasts in the high 140°’s which are also perfectly safe because of the time that they have been held at that temp.

Here is my game plan for tonight's cook

Wet brine since last night (apple juice, Kosher salt, onion, oregano, and red pepper flakes)
Remove from brine and pat dry; let dry in refrigerator for 1-2 hours
Pan sear in cast iron pan for 2 minutes
Place on smoker at 225 until internal temp hits 135, then baste with bbq sauce
Remove from smoker when internal temps hits 155

This was discussed in my SafeServ course. Nothing lives through 12-14 hour cook. I concur with your thought process and have used it for a few years.

What do you guys think?

I thought you were the author of your post.... Glad I read the source article.

As far as the the target temp goes... I may try it. Seems like the chicken breasts I cook on the griddle are coming out very tough. Not sure if it's the chicken or the fact it was previously frozen. :confused:

Here is another article from ThermoWorks that discusses the same subject. It's based on the 7-log-10 reduction in bacteria where you use temp and holding time together. I'm very fine with pulling grilled, baked or braised white meat at 155°. For SV chicken I use 147°, but allow adequate time to pasteurize it.

I roll 155 breasts when grilled/smoked
150 when sous vide

Much better IMO and more juicy rather than 165

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always overcook chicken, especially dark meat. I find its slimy when its just done to the minimum safe temp.

I like to cook whole birds (chicken and turkey) spatchcocked. I have found that once the breast hits close to 160, the thighs and legs are usually about 180 and change. That is when I pull and rest. Perfect cook for me.

If I'm cooking chicken thighs, I prefer 180 and change before I pull them.

The chicken breasts came out great! I placed them on the smoker at 225 and they were done after 90 minutes. I sauced them for the last 10 minutes and took them off at an internal temp of 155. They were just perfect.

I've been in quite a few arguments over the years about safe cooking temps and things like the dreaded "danger zone" that directs people to toss perfectly good food.

Nice to see this thread pop up. I'm an advocate for putting stuffing "in the bird" as well, and again had arguments about the safety of this (which despite winning the argument still didn't change peoples positions).

I'm an advocate of cooking chicken to the correct temp for eating and if this means you have a bit of blood left in the joint, this is perfectly OK if you have a fresh chicken to start with.

I love a slight brine on a chicken breast and then smoking to 150F. It's all you need. 165F for thighs and nothing more.

B

like the dreaded "danger zone" that directs people to toss perfectly good food.

B

Lol, my first ever smoke, on a brinkmanship water smaller. A turkey that was put on at 8 am to be done at noon, was done at 6pm.
I didn’t know about danger zones back then. We all survived. :rolleyes:

Brinkman

Lol, my first ever smoke, on a brinkmanship water smaller. A turkey that was put on at 8 am to be done at noon, was done at 6pm.
I didn’t know about danger zones back then. We all survived. :rolleyes:

That’s funny. I almost forgot about turkeys on the old Brinkman. Trying to keep the temp close to the e in ideal, on a cold windy thanksgiving. I would’ve said you were crazy if you said at some point I would rather cook on a 55 gallon drum than my beloved Brinkman.

Just thought I'd post this again from an old friend:

Alrighty folks... 'setcher lil hearts at ease - Most of the USDA's "blah, blah, blah" is designed so the that the average burger flipper can remember it -

Let me ask this question though, would you consider chicken kept at 137 for an hour to be:
A) Lethal - WTH are you trying to do to me man????
B) Just right! Bring it on, I'm hungry fo' that!

FDA says... Good to go! What???? AYFKM???!!!! (Are you freaking kidding me??)

Now, I'm not saying that the taste & texture will be what you want, but - technically, safe.

From USDA.gov - pages 5 - 16: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FSISNotices/RTE_Poultry_Tables.pdf

Times for given temperature, fat level, and species needed to obtain
7-log10 lethality of Salmonella*
------------------------------------ fat%=9 ------------------------------------
Temperature (
o
F) Time for Chicken Time for Turkey
136 74.8 min 67.6 min
137 59.7 min 55.3 min
138 47.7 min 45.4 min
139 38.3 min 37.3 min
140 30.8 min 30.8 min
141 24.9 min 25.5 min
142 20.1 min 21.1 min
143 16.3 min 17.4 min
144 13.2 min 14.4 min