Need Advice on Weber Summit Charcoal grill

Rosco

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi guys I am hoping you can help me make sense of this so I can make a smart purchase decision. I should start off by saying that I am a current Weber kettle owner for over 10 years. I do everything on there from grilling to smoking (bought a Smokenator 1000 way back in 2013). I love Weber products in general and would like to stick with the brand.

That all being said there are a few nits to pick with my current setup, which is why I am shopping around. As a smoker the kettle is finicky as it requires continuous temperature monitoring, as well as refueling every hour. So, it is not exactly ideal for long cooks.
As far as grilling goes the kettle cannot be beat. However, there are times where I wish I had a little bit more grill space. Additionally, there are times where I wish I had a gas grill for quick weeknight cooks (burgers, vegetables), as the 30 minutes to fire up the kettle is sometimes too much.

I came upon the Weber Summit Charcoal grill and it seems like it would fit the bill for most everything I want:
• Quicker startup with the included propane starter (not quite as quick as gas, but closer)
• Superb temperature stability and low fuel consumption
• Large size that would be great for both grilling and smoking
• Very flexible being able to raise and lower the charcoal grate
• Easy cleanup (as are all kettles) – easier than a WSM
• Appears to be a superior smoker to the WSM (except for maybe capacity)

The one problem I have with the WCS is the premium price tag that Weber has slapped on it. For the same price I could so buy a Genesis gas grill, a Smokey mountain, and have plenty of money left over. With those things considered is the WCS worth it? And to be clear I would be keeping my current kettle.

Thanks!

Rosco

I don't have the Weber Summit Charcoal grill but most of the information out there about it that I've read has been positive.

I bought the Smokenator 1000 when it first came out and while it worked okay, it wasn't the best setup.

Have you thought about the Slow N Sear for your Kettle? It works a lot better and you can go for several hours or more before having to refuel. The Summit is more versatile it seems but the SNS would be a cheaper option to try.

Have you thought about the Slow N Sear for your Kettle? It works a lot better and you can go for several hours or more before having to refuel. The Summit is more versatile it seems but the SNS would be a cheaper option to try.

I had considered it, and it still could be an option. A little pricey where I live, so considering all options. It wouldn’t fix the inherent problem of poor temperature control. Would need to add Lavarock to get a better seal on the lid. But then I’m most of the way to a WSM.

I think you covered all the basis including the price tag...

I will say this, you’ll never go out to find a cracked lid, or open the lid and it fall out of the ring, no cracks anywhere, it’s perfectly stable to roll around (pushing or pulling) and light enough that me and my kids can load it up and take it to a party.

IMO, if it’s a kamado style cooker yer after, you’ve decided on the right one.

I love my Summit charcoal. You will likely not need to add fuel - it is very efficient. Great grill. I would never buy a ceramic after having owned the Summit.

I will say this, you’ll never go out to find a cracked lid, or open the lid and it fall out of the ring, no cracks anywhere, it’s perfectly stable to roll around (pushing or pulling) and light enough that me and my kids can load it up and take it to a party.

High praise! Thank you for sharing your experience.

I love my Summit charcoal. You will likely not need to add fuel - it is very efficient. Great grill. I would never buy a ceramic after having owned the Summit.

This seems to be the common statement I read from owners. Love their purchase and would make the same decision again.

If they were ~$1,000 I would likely buy one. However, $2k for one with the table is simply too much IMHO.

For ~$1900 you can get a Shirley 24x36 patio model or, many similar options from other builders, or gravity fed or pellet fed options from shops like TK, Assassin, etc.

The 26" Weber Kettle is a viable option. It seems like I scored mine for ~$270 on a Fathersday sale about two years ago. Add a Slow'n'Sear and you have a lot of the Summit with ~25% of the cost and it super easy to clean and use with a lot more capacity for larger cooks.

I agree they cost too much, but an SnS in 26" is nothing like a WSC, nor does it give you that much more capacity. No diffuser, not insulated, no different grate heights. And I *HATE* Weber's lid bale setup. The only thing I'd do differently is get the cheaper one without the table just so it didn't take up as much room in my garage.

The propane starter is worthless. Didn’t work for squat for me. It seemed to burn dirtier than my green eggs.

I like WSCG

But I almost think I'd get Weber 26 + hunsaker barrel or similar barrel

You could even add camp chef/Blackstone griddle to get gasser convenience

Not sure if 3 cookers is appealing

But look at summit without prep table, build your and buy your own outdoor prep station as option

Or just buy it and be happy like everyone else I see that bought one

Completely agree. I got mine in November 2017 and it looks brand new. It can do anything you want it to. It's a great grill if you can only have one. If you want to save some money, don't get the table. I didn't and don't miss it. One point to consider is that I wouldn't place much value on the gas ignition. I use a chimney 95% of the time. Weber would be wise to release a version without it at a lower price.

I have no issues with the gas ignition, fill the chimney up, set it over the ignitor and bam, fire!

I have no issues with the gas ignition, fill the chimney up, set it over the ignitor and bam, fire!

Same thing here, sounds like you have gas flow problems, mine is 9 years old and had to clean the orfice recently but back to new performance, love my Performer, doing a 3 hr cook no need to add charcoal running the baskets and about 225-250

I've loved mine for the past three years. I only have room for one grill and this one excels at everything. It is too expensive but will likely be the last grill I ever buy. No regrets at all!

Same here. It take a while since my chimney has trap doors to drop the charcoal out of the bottom so the charcoal sits up higher. If I'm in a hurry, I'll put a Weber cube or 2 under the chimney, then light the gas ignition.

They do look nice, but man, the price is just too high.

I don’t see it having the same life span as a similarly priced, thick, welded, all steel offset.

I agree they cost too much, but an SnS in 26" is nothing like a WSC, nor does it give you that much more capacity. No diffuser, not insulated, no different grate heights. And I *HATE* Weber's lid bale setup. The only thing I'd do differently is get the cheaper one without the table just so it didn't take up as much room in my garage.

The 26" Kettle is a nice unit and offers a lot more room than you would think compared to a 22" model. Is it the same capacity as the WSC, probably not. Sure it isn't insulated but, to be honest, that hasn't been a problem for me. In terms of heat control, sure it doesn't have variable grate heights but, you can always move the coals around to control the heat intensity and neither one is a Santa Maria grill. The lid holder on the 26" works well IMHO and I know at the time I bought mine the "deluxe" 22's had the same option but, you would have to go somewhere other than Walmart to find one.

In terms of insulation for safety (kids) or fuel-efficiency (cold or windy weather), an IVC will work really well with several gravity-fed and pellet options to pick from.

Now with $1500~$2000 to work with, you have a lot of options to consider. Assuming you have space, a Blackstone griddle and 26" Weber kettle are good places to start. Add a WSM or two or IVC and you have a ton of flexibility in what and how you cook. Even high heat pizzas can be done with the griddle and a 'steel' hood.

In my case, I have a lot of things to play with. What I find myself using most is not the Shirley or Evie Mae but, a 14" WSM and a 36" Blackstone. No, they are not fancy or brag-worthy but, they simply work well and produce great results and I can fiddle with them as much or as little as I want during the cook.

In the end, it really comes down to personal choice and how each of us chooses to spend our time. Rarely do I feel the need to chastise or criticize someone else's choice even if I don't agree. Gentle persuasion to consider alternatives, sure. Heck, it's part of the reason I have a Kamado and Griddle now as my eyes were opened to other possibilities! :grin: Maybe I will be tempted into getting a WSC someday!:p

I've loved mine for the past three years. I only have room for one grill and this one excels at everything. It is too expensive but will likely be the last grill I ever buy. No regrets at all!

Thankfully, I'm not constrained to just ONE smoker or grill. If I were, the Kamado style or a PK Grill would be very tempting as my "one and only" though IVC options would make for a real hard choice too.

If the WSC option wasn't $1500, I'd already have one. Instead, I have a small Vision Grill ($300) for times I want what it does best. I keep hoping I find a Craigslist or Letgo sale of a WSC for something less than $1K as that is "an itch I would really like to scratch"!

I've owned one for over a year (for $1200 after negotiation) and am completely satisfied. The charcoal grate can be raised and lowered, but only between cooks. I never use the propane charcoal lighter and utilize a chimney for easy lighting.

As far as the price, look at the competition: the Big Green Egg XL and the Kamado Joe Big Joe. Both cost as much or more than the WSCG. My decision came down to the Big Joe vs the Summit, and I chose the Weber based on many of the points mentioned in your original post. The Summit is light, easy to maneuver, and will not shatter upon falling. Good luck with your decision.

Back