MAK Grills talk/pics/thoughts/reviews and appreciation thread

Darn it!! Total bummer, Jeremy! I had that happen a couple of times early on. Learned that starting each cook with a clean fire pot = a happy MAK.
Same experience and now regardless of how short the previous cook was, if I'm going to run the grill for more than an hour or two, I make sure to start the cook with a clean fire pot.

Sorry you had to toss your Brisket Jeremy.

A moment of silence before it goes in a trash bag and back into the freezer to await trash day...

Y’all, this was 100% on me... Stupid hurts... Lesson learned

While scraping around I noticed creosote build up on the rear louvers...

So I hit it with a 5 in 1 paint scraper and vacuumed it up...

Smoking a couple fatties for some consolation...

Got another brisket thawing, should be ready to go on tonight!

A moment of silence before it goes in a trash bag and back into the freezer to await trash day...

Man, that was a quick bereavement process!!Watch a friend die, bag him and toss him in the freezer, smoke a couple of fatty’s and onto the next friend… [emoji15]

I like your style [emoji41][emoji41]

Man, that was a quick bereavement process!!Watch a friend die, bag him and toss him in the freezer, smoke a couple of fatty’s and onto the next friend… [emoji15]

I like your style [emoji41][emoji41]

:laugh:

No use cryin’ over spilled (spilt if yer a redneck) milk :mrgreen:

Thinking of trying a fatty. Never had one or made one. Anybody try stuffing them with scrambled eggs or anything like that? Or is it just better to do the straight log out of the package? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

I had a flameout during my rib cook yesterday. Luckily I was there when it happened. So my food was still good. Not sure what happened. I cleaned my pot out the night before. Don’t know if I had ash buildup Or what. Emptied the overflow & rest of the cook went fine. Going to check out the fire pot today to see if the ash is packed in there & just looked clean.

That really sucks Jeremy! I haven't had a flame out but I did set one of those American Wagyu briskets next to the freezer while I rearranged some stuff. A couple days later I found it. I let out one of those Home Alone screams. [emoji33] everyone in the house came running out to the garage to see if I was still alive. Threw out $100 but [emoji90] happens. First time that ever happened and should be the last...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you're running MAK Mobile, and there's a flame out, does it send you a text?

I was lucky enough that I was close & I heard the PB setting off an alarm. I didn’t check my phone so I don’t know. I was too busy trying to see what was going on

fa32fe71c7e5f9118f3797435cb3e4ff.jpg

Not sure what happened. Just looked at everything & it looks fine. I started out clean too. Have to see what happens on the next low & slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking of trying a fatty. Never had one or made one. Anybody try stuffing them with scrambled eggs or anything like that? Or is it just better to do the straight log out of the package? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

usually just naked or with some rub but I like farking around too. I did this once
k3LST0Mh.jpg

usually just naked or with some rub but I like farking around too. I did this once
k3LST0Mh.jpg

That looks yummy! Thought maybe trying so some scrambled eggs with some hash browns inside? Done know if that will turn out or not. Hard to roll back up?

I might recommend doing a site search for “Fatty Ronello”. One of our Moderators (Ron) included the recipe in a post almost 10 years ago that inspired me...

He wrote, “Fatty Ronello. Flatten the sausage roll (putting it into a gallon zip bag, sealing the bag and the smashing the sausage until it fills the bag easily is a good way. Then you can just unzip the bag and slice the sides to expose the sausage, add your fillings and then use the bag to help roll it.). Anyway, back to the Fatty Ronello. Add a layer of poblano pepper strips on top of the flatten sausage, then add a layer of fresh chorizo. Then add a couple of sticks of habenaro jack cheese. Roll it, seal it and cook until 165 internal.”

The technique of zipping the fatty into a Ziploc bag was brilliant. It makes layering your fillings, and rolling your stuffed fatty up easy-peasy. Most times, I’ll sauté peppers and onions, spread them out on the flattened-fatty, then sprinkle shredded cheese over the whole thing and roll it up. One tip, leave enough space on the outside edges of the stuffed log, to pinch/seal the ends. It helps prevent a blow out mess.

That looks yummy! Thought maybe trying so some scrambled eggs with some hash browns inside? Done know if that will turn out or not. Hard to roll back up?

Plastic bag as described above, the eggs were precooked and potatoes par cooked, cool and combine with cheese and green chilies, roll in plastic and refrigerate. Bacon weave was built on plastic wrap for ease of application, similar as plastic bag described above

bNi4Xh6h.jpg

Last edited:

I do not believe that it currently notifies you. Almost certain the guys at MAK have mentioned wanting to add that feature in a future update. That would be nice for sure.

I do not believe that it currently notifies you. Almost certain the guys at MAK have mentioned wanting to add that feature in a future update. That would be nice for sure.
Seems like a basic function. Even my cheap Mavericks let me set a low temp alarm. They gotta add this feature.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not sure what happened. Just looked at everything & it looks fine. I started out clean too. Have to see what happens on the next low & slow.

So you started with a clean firepot and not even 5 hours in that happened? What brand/type of pellets are you burning? Any chance they have been compromised by moisture, either in the hopper or the bag/container you store them in? A flame out in 5 hours after starting with a clean fire pot is very unusual.

Back