Favorite Sausage Recipe

woodmaker

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good sausage recipe like a cheddar sausage or polish sausage or a snack stick. Maybe a wild game,(Venison) I'm willing to try anything. I've tried a few of premixed recipes but I find that they are really salty I usually add more meat to thin the salt. If you have a favorite tried and true sausage recipe that you are willing to share, I'd would really like to try it.

Woodmaker

I copied and pasted this from a different post from awhile back. This is my favorite sausage that I've ever made myself. Great flavor.

It's a recipe with a twist from Ryan Farr's book called sausage making. His recipe is as follows:
902 g pork shoulder
286 g fat back
97 g ice water
43 g non fat dry milk powder
18 g sea salt
5 g minced garlic
4 g black pepper
3 g cure no. 1
2.5 g sugar
1.5 g chopped fresh oregano

I then added :
1 cup finely cubed mild cheddar
1/2 cup fire roasted jalapeño, skinned, de-seeded, cooled, and fine diced
I roasted the jalapeño first mainly to get most of the moisture out, but it added a nice depth of flavor as well.

Grind the meat on the finer plate. Add the seasonings. Mix. Test. Let farce sit overnight in fridge. Stuff in hog casing. Hang in fridge until ready to cook. Smoke at 170 until internal is 145. I then went directly to ice bath to keep from puckering.

Thanks for the sausage recipe and the info on the web site. I can't wait to try them.

Woodmaker

My fall back recipe is the duck sausage from Ruhlman's charcuterie book. It has yet to disappoint, even with the non-duck crowd.

3 1/2 lb's duck trimmed (the recipe prefers legs and thighs, but I like buying the whole duck and using the left over carcass for stock. The addition of breast meat also makes for a milder, yet more rounded sausage. And the extra duck fat makes great skillet potatoes).
1/2 lb's fat back, sometimes more
1/2 cup chopped sage
3 tbs. roasted garlic ( I usually just roast off a whole head. Close enough.)
1/2 Tbs. pepper
1/2 cup ice water, plus extra ice for bath
1/2 cup red wine.

Chill everything and grind ingredients (minus wine and water) into a bowl set in a larger bowl set with the ice.

Mix water and wine to mixture with paddle in mixer or, hand mix with stiff spatula.

Grill off a small bit to check for seasoning. Adjust if necessary.

Chill sausage mixture.

Stuff in hog casings.

Smoke indirect at a medium temp grill or smoker until the casings get crisp and the fat bubbles.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the recipe, this one looks good. I have one very similar, but this one uses brown sugar.

Back