Things we’ve never made/eaten before…

bowhnter

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Until now. I was always a pretty picky eater, and didn’t/don’t step out of the box too far, but I’m getting better at it.

Neither my wife or I have had or made Hot Water Cornbread (alway made the regular) or onion casserole.

Both were delicious. I probably could have left the cornbread in another minute or two. The Mrs made the onion casserole..
Another first will be tomorrow.

What have you recently made for your first time and will add as a regular?

Attachments

• EF2B3619-C9FA-4DC9-A9CF-82DBE8790DDF.jpg
    EF2B3619-C9FA-4DC9-A9CF-82DBE8790DDF.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 293
Buldak

Huge hit in my house! I’ve actually taken to making the sauce up in bulk and canning it and always have some chicken thighs in the freezer.

I would probably like that

It’s in regular rotation for “Friday Night Junk Food Night”. We joke that we have no idea how it is reheated…

A couple of years ago, my son was taking advantage of all the online meal things, like Blue Apron - he’d take the intro offer and then tell them to get lost - so for Christmas, I made him up three different meals , all pre-measured and such. When he made one, he’d text me and tell me what he thought. When he made the Buldak, I got “I’m moving to Korea….”:grin:

It is pretty unbelievable to me that I just today smoked my first chub of bologna ever.

And a couple weeks ago, my first from scratch buttermilk biscuits. I’m gonna blame it on work and now I have more free time.

Attachments

• 933BB067-9891-4FF4-9A9A-37E391C01D85.jpg
    933BB067-9891-4FF4-9A9A-37E391C01D85.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 8662E033-FD84-49ED-8075-9A95B67FBD57.jpg
    8662E033-FD84-49ED-8075-9A95B67FBD57.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
And a weeks ago, my first from scratch buttermilk biscuits. I’m gonna blame it on work and now I have more free time.

Same here. Strawberries were in, so I decided on shortcake. I made them from this book. I don’t know what it is about her stuff, but I have an extremely high failure rate. These were no different.:mmph:

This is a cool OP and is refreshing to me. It has the “ I want to learn more about cooking” vibe. So many times on many forums people develop a “I know everything about everything” persona.

Being a lifelong Midwesterner, I was not exposed to American Southwestern cooking much. I am enjoying trying and learning more about green chiles.

Being a lifelong Midwesterner, .

I was too (Illinois). I was 39 when we moved to TX, 23 yrs ago.
I hardly cooked inside at all and sure didn’t own any type of smoker until moving.
I’ll need to tell my very first brinkman smoke (turkey) sometime.

My wife and I worked a lot, say what you will about Rachel Ray and 30 minute meals, but it got us started. That and finding the BBQ forums.

OK, I've had corn bread; in a skillet with bacon grease, jalapenos, corn kernels, crackling, bell pepper, cheese etc..... Please tell me about hot water corn bread.

Same here. Strawberries were in, so I decided on shortcake. I made them from this book. I don’t know what it is about her stuff, but I have an extremely high failure rate. These were no different.:mmph:

I've had poor luck with several of her recipes as well, figured it was just me.

My wife would love those potatoes, and we have some blue cheese. Going to do that tonight

Attachments

• EF95DFC7-99D0-4B27-9C05-02300C56112F.jpg
    EF95DFC7-99D0-4B27-9C05-02300C56112F.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 33
Back