slider2021

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was watching a few videos, Mad Scientist BBQ for one, where he used beef tarrow on his butcher paper before wrapping the brisket. He simply splashed some liquid tallow across the area where the brisket will be resting and then wrapped it accordingly. His post-cook comments said it was the most tender, juiciest brisket he ever had and feels that this is the "secret" that Franklin uses at his place.

Has anyone ever used tallow in this manner? Results? Opinions?

Thanks

Last edited:
There's about a 20 page thread on it if you are interested in reading everyone's thoughts.....

thanks for the update. I searched and spelled tarrow wrong - duh! I just found the thread. All that schooling - what a waste :0

Happy 4th!

thanks for the update. I searched and spelled tarrow wrong - duh! I just found the thread. All that schooling - what a waste :0

Happy 4th!

There's about a 2 hour window for you as author of the thread from the time you started it to edit your post and change "tarrow" to "tallow" if you want. You can change the title by using the advanced feature in edit mode. Hope this helps!

Yeah, personally, I think it is all a bunch of hype started by MSB. I've never cooked a brisket that needed extra fat renderings on it.

I’m doing a flat this weekend and will be doing this. Did it on my last packer and I could definitely tell a difference.

Yeah, personally, I think it is all a bunch of hype started by MSB. I've never cooked a brisket that needed extra fat renderings on it.

I've always maintained it's important to keep an open mind, but in this case, I'm with you. I honestly don't see how a thin layer of beef fat added to the paper that an already fatty cut of beef is going to sit on for a while is going to effect any kind of difference. If it does, and is proven, I want to know about it!

On the other hand a recent thread here on wrapping ribs in butcher paper vs foil made a lot of sense to me. I tried it the last time I did ribs and it's way better than foil as it doesn't steam the meat so much.

I've always maintained it's important to keep an open mind, but in this case, I'm with you. I honestly don't see how a thin layer of beef fat added to the paper that an already fatty cut of beef is going to sit on for a while is going to effect any kind of difference. If it does, and is proven, I want to know about it!

On the other hand a recent thread here on wrapping ribs in butcher paper vs foil made a lot of sense to me. I tried it the last time I did ribs and it's way better than foil as it doesn't steam the meat so much.

Well, you know how peach paper absorbs fat and juices until saturated? Maybe pre-spraying the paper prevents that and keeps more juices in the wrap?

Take the fat trimming off your brisket, throw it in a pan and put it in your smoker while you're smoking your brisket.
Let it render down to a liquid, about the time your brisket goes into the stall.
Drizzle the rendered brisket fat onto the brisket, wrap in butcher paper, finish your smoke.

The first brisket I ever did (about 25 years ago), I followed a recipe my friend had given to me.

I can't remember the spices I used, but I DO remember covering it in lard... a lot of lard.
I had to work that morning, so I started it at about 4 am on the company gas grill. About 45 minutes later, while out on the property, I noticed our shop was brightly lit with flickering flames.

Luckily didn't burn down the shop, took the lump that was left and finished it at home... over direct heat, of course.:crazy:
Oddly enough, after carving past the "char" (couldn't call it bark), it was actually a good brisket.
IMHO, don't use lard or tallow. If you do, have an excuse and a fire extinguisher ready.:pray:
Again, just my personal opinion.

The first brisket I ever did (about 25 years ago), I followed a recipe my friend had given to me.

I can't remember the spices I used, but I DO remember covering it in lard... a lot of lard.
I had to work that morning, so I started it at about 4 am on the company gas grill. About 45 minutes later, while out on the property, I noticed our shop was brightly lit with flickering flames.

Luckily didn't burn down the shop, took the lump that was left and finished it at home... over direct heat, of course.:crazy:
Oddly enough, after carving past the "char" (couldn't call it bark), it was actually a good brisket.
IMHO, don't use lard or tallow. If you do, have an excuse and a fire extinguisher ready.:pray:
Again, just my personal opinion.

You were cooking with a fat essentially directly over a fire. People have been wrapping with tallow for a long time, you’re nowhere near its smoke point in a smoker with indirect heat.

Jeremy now recommends to smoke the tallow first, as an even better tallow wrap than non smoked tallow.

I honestly don't see how a thin layer of beef fat added to the paper that an already fatty cut of beef is going to sit on for a while is going to effect any kind of difference.

Take one piece of peach paper and coat it with tallow and one uncoated. Eat both. Which one tastes better?

Case closed.

:wink:

Well, you know how peach paper absorbs fat and juices until saturated? Maybe pre-spraying the paper prevents that and keeps more juices in the wrap?

My thoughts exactly. You can even substitute tallow with some other kind of grease like butter, crisco, parkay.......

You were cooking with a fat essentially directly over a fire. People have been wrapping with tallow for a long time, you’re nowhere near its smoke point in a smoker with indirect heat.
I understand that completely. My opinion is that smearing fat on meat is not always the best approach.
Since my first attempt I've smoked until finished, crutched, done a final high heat finish... I tend to use lower quality meat for brisket (like always) and have never gone back to dipping a piece of meat into fat.
The beauty of the Q is that we all do it different, and that's what makes it fun. :thumb:
As for my first attempt, that was in in Katy Texas... and my boss was less worried about me almost burning down the shop, he was more worried about me calling grilling bbq'ing.:mrgreen:

Haven’t tried it, so I won’t knock it. Logic seems sound, but who knows.

Seems to me Greaseproof paper would do the same thing,

My BP gets soaked with fat and fat pours out of the BP when I unwrap. Brisket comes out juicy every time. It almost sounds like this tallow technique is similar to using foil. Foil doesn't ruin bark if used properly. My guess is that pre-soaking BP has some of the benefits of both BP and foil. DANG!!! Y'all got me thinking about trying this. :doh:

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Back