A Most Excellent Midnite Snack

The only thing I would have done different would be jalapeños instead of pickles ! Love me some Spam.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread but I love Spam. I wanted to show different way to eat Spam than what most Americans might be familiar with. Our favorite way to eat Spam at home is to include it in Budae-jjijae or "Army Stew". Budae-jjijae is Korean stew that was created after the Korean war mainly out of necessity. Post war Korea was really poor and impoverished with very few options for meat. So people would smuggle out leftover and surplus US Army canned meats like ham, Spam, sausages, beans, etc. Whatever people could get their hands on and threw it all in a pot with kimchi and gochujang.

If you go to South Korea today, Budae-jjijae is more popular than ever and this is favorite midnight late meal for the drinking crowd as they sit around the table and drink soju and eat the stew with bowl of white rice.

I've never added leftover BBQ items to the stew but now I think about it, I should add some leftover smoked brisket, pulled pork, or chicken next time I make this dish. I think it will be excellent and another good way to get rid of some BBQ leftovers.

tzRcNIt.jpg

kSNIQUQ.jpg

Instant ramen is added later towards the end
w0h9J9W.jpg

VaErB33.gif

Back