Practice Comp cook at house

Smokin Dawg77

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We ran a FULL practice run at house over weekend with new trailer set up. Gearing up for our last comp of the dreaded 2020 season. Currently holding 1st place in overall points lead for BY team of the year. So we gone try our best close out with that ! Cook went very well overall super happy with chicken. Ribs got lil dark on this , still head scratching on that one. Pork ehhh thats are worst meat needs work , Brisket was nice one we ended up just tad over done due to past brisket have been tight so we over shot trying to avoid tight. But all in all judges gave us all perfect scores :mrgreen::clap::razz:.

Last edited:
Well I see why your doing #1 work in back yard. you would do well in Pro Series also!
I would encourage you to take your "true burnt ends" further into saucey tenderness and sprinkle them around the perimeter of your slices. I have never called what's presented nowadays anything but "square ends". You have the real deal sir.
Good.
Ed

Thank you sir , no burnt ends in pic , that was just trimmed sides of brisket , why was "lil over" side crumbled a lilttle when we sliced to size to fit box.

The burnt ends turned out lil salty another head scratcher .....

I see you guys are still kickin' it!! In two weeks it's end of the season here. 6 or 7 of the comps I was going to judge cancelled, and my last one is a double header in October. So far it's still a go, but the county is reporting more COVID cases than any month so far. They say the full KCBS protocol will be followed.

I see you guys are still kickin' it!! In two weeks it's end of the season here. 6 or 7 of the comps I was going to judge cancelled, and my last one is a double header in October. So far it's still a go, but the county is reporting more COVID cases than any month so far. They say the full KCBS protocol will be followed.

Just spoke with organizer Friday , he said still a full go. This comps really out in country so that may help us ....

nice looking food......how do you like using the WSM's?

Next year were adding 2 drums cause tough cooking 4 meats with 2 cookers. But i wouldn't be without my WSMs , they are awesome if run them right. We havent been out top 7 in ribs ALL year worst was a 7th rest all top 5.. 3 1st places. Rib / chicken cooking machine.

It all looks awesome. I can see how this would be a lot of fun!

What's the strategy with the brisket? Doesn't look like there's any fat cap on it and more mahogany vs blackish. Is that by design? (Just curious, no experience with any of the comp stuff)

On the pic w/ tin foil , and 1 on the cutting board , there is a 1/4" ish of fat cap on the bottom side to protect while cooking. Once a slice gets deemed box worthy you trim that fat even more off down to just a hint left in the box pics.

Nice looking cooks, but I never got confirmation of my judge application. Maybe next go 'round.

Thank you sir , no burnt ends in pic , that was just trimmed sides of brisket , why was "lil over" side crumbled a lilttle when we sliced to size to fit box.

The burnt ends turned out lil salty another head scratcher .....

No what you have there is exactly burnt ends, small pieces from trimming that old time Q cooks would hand out to customers while they waited in line. They caught on so well that cooks started purposely making chunks from the fatty point and seasoning and cooking longer till killer tender.
Load your empty box space with tender, tasty morsels called burnt ends and I can't imagine it not being 9 worthy.
Todays "square ends" just aren't the same thing (but can be delicious).
Ed

No what you have there is exactly burnt ends, small pieces from trimming that old time Q cooks would hand out to customers while they waited in line. They caught on so well that cooks started purposely making chunks from the fatty point and seasoning and cooking longer till killer tender.
Load your empty box space with tender, tasty morsels called burnt ends and I can't imagine it not being 9 worthy.
Todays "square ends" just aren't the same thing (but can be delicious).
Ed

x0oSayJ.jpg

Taste and tenderness of true burnt ends might score fine, but some judges have never encountered them. I wonder about the best way to present them in the box and what the appearance scores would look like? I've seen some brisket entries that included chopped which was sauced and neatly mounded.... So, would burnt ends reduced in sauce score better?

CScDT.jpg

Love true burnt ends...
Have had the honor of tasting some, but so very few times.
Usually see only Large Diced Brisket.

Regrettably didn't get shot of point after smoking , but man it did turn out nice with this trim job. Very symmetrical sizes all way across easily had 8 in uniform size. just were salty...might got lil heavy handed with shaker.

Last edited:
Back