THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kpbridges907

So I bought a brisket today at Costco (so flexible I couldn't pass it up) at 5.79 lb and also a pork butt for my first pulled pork this weekend. My question is simply why wet age? I have read Dr. Bbq's post on how, and also read several other posts on how, but what I haven't read, and maybe I've just been too lazy to go over every single post, is why do you want to age your brisket either wet or dry I just haven't found out why. I want to make the absolute best brisket possible as do we all, but if a straight to the smoker brisket is great to the people eating, how does wet aging make it better? Any and all advice would be most helpful thanks you all my smokin brothers. Oh btw I'm very excited to announce when I do my first pulled pork I also plan to smoke my very first fatty. (Abt stuffed fatty) GOD BLESS MAC BROWN

Last edited:
Is the beef in a cryovac pack? If it is the chances are that it has already been wet aged. It's about allowing natural enzymes in the meat to begin breaking down the tissue to give a more tender product. Dry aged beef on the other hand is a totally different animal - you get moisture loss which condenses the flavour of the meat, combined with additional fungal/bacterial growth which will further help change the flavour profile of the cut

One other thing... Unless you know the pack date it's hard to accurately wet age. You really need to know the date that the brisket went into the cryo. Without that date you're just guessing. It could only be a few days old or it could already be two to three weeks. You just don''t know.

You can get a guesstimate by looking for bubbles in the cryo. If it is tight and no bubbles than it is probably less than a week. If there are dime sized bubble then it is probably a couple of weeks. Nicke sized bubble means probably three to 4 weeks and quarter sized bubbles means 5 weeks or so, but that is a guesstimate.

I always wet age my brisket, it makes the meat more tender and has more flavor :) Ron L is right, you have to watch the size of the bubble and make sure your refrigerator is at about 32 degrees.

Back