Meat trimming knives

Aggie12

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Aggie
Any recommendations? What is everybody else using? Mainly for trimming uncooked brisket, pork butt, etc., but also deboning venison quarters at home.

Currently using an old dexter russell 6" boning knife (model S131-6) that I like from a blade shape and handling perspective, but it just doesn't seem to hold an edge very long.

As important as the knife is how to keep it sharp.
Find some YouTube vids on how to use it and it works great.
I do the paper towel test. Poke knife thru and cut towel and not tear.
Sorry about link. Anyway look up WorkSharp. I can do a decent knife back to super sharp in 5 minutes. I have never been good at using other ways but the worksharp is awesome.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...=2ahUKEwjSveHmpr77AhU1lmoFHfjGAnkQ0Qx6BAgHEAE

Mercer semi a flexible boning knife from restaurant supply stores. Holds an edge and has HDPE bacterial safe handles.

I have several knives for trimming including Dexter, Mercer, and Victorinox and prefer the Victorinox 6” curved boning knife over the others.

The Bearded Butchers recommend this knife.

Victorinox 6” curved boning knife will handle all your trim work, the 5in for butchering deer. As far as your dexter their not a bad knife, as with any knife you will need to sharpen and then maintain the edge with a quality medium then fine steel(victorinox).

Victorians 6" boning knives serve me well. I have both the curved and the straight, and prefer the straight blade. I feel like I have better control when using the tip.

Agreed, it's not a bad knife, but I can start a brisket with a sharp knife and feel like it's getting dull by the time I'm done trimming. Was just looking for something that holds an edge longer.

Well the brisket isn't dulling a piece of hardened steel. Most likely you've had it out too long and the fat is getting soft, making it more difficult to trim.

After I went to Myron's class in 2017, I've followed his advice:

Cheap Rapala or other filet knives in a sporting goods store. They're flexible, razor sharp, work well, last a while if cared for, inexpensive, and easy to replace. I keep a few on hand.

Mundial boning knives for everyday, and a Shun Premier boning knife when I’m feeling fancy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

For briskets, I found the Dexter 8" & 10" Chef knife to suite my needs in a commercial setting with employees. They were safe, durable, and easy to maintain with WorkSharp "stones".

Mundial boning knives for everyday, and a Shun Premier boning knife when I’m feeling fancy.

I use Mundial too and Messermeister San Moritz Elite when someone is watching. To keep them sharp for everyday use, I have used a Diamond Steel but recently bought a Messermeister Ceramic “Steel” that I even better. Keeping a knife sharp is more important than the brand you choose to start.

Never thought about the fat softening and just getting more difficult to cut. Admittedly, I usually take my sweet time trimming briskets.

Back