Gyros on the Trompo King!

I saw those on FB and followed their page. The only reasons I didn't go in on it:

1. Price
2. You have to manually rotate it.
3. For it to work like a true Shawarma type cook, you pile a lot of meat on, and trim from the outside as it cooks. Well, the wife and I wouldn't be able to eat all that in a couple sittings, so, while great for a bigger family, not really something I would use often.

Seeing your pics makes me want to rethink it a bit, but I still think it would be something I would use maybe once a year, and if so, not worth the price to me.

I saw those on FB and followed their page. The only reasons I didn't go in on it:

1. Price
2. You have to manually rotate it.
3. For it to work like a true Shawarma type cook, you pile a lot of meat on, and trim from the outside as it cooks. Well, the wife and I wouldn't be able to eat all that in a couple sittings, so, while great for a bigger family, not really something I would use often.

Seeing your pics makes me want to rethink it a bit, but I still think it would be something I would use maybe once a year, and if so, not worth the price to me.

Yea, I actually won it in a raffle, and my friend dropped it off. The price had kept me from buying it.
The rotating thing was less of an issue than I imagined.
I put the briquettes in a circle in the bottom of the Weber and it roasted pretty evenly.
I did have a cherry split on one side, so I manually rotated 3-4 times, but that was over a couple of hours.
I used a total of 6 lbs of meat on the short skewker (7”).
A 12” skewer also comes with it.
That 6 lbs fed 3 of us 2-3 meals.

The 12” skewer would work great for parties on a 26” Weber I bet.

Hey!

There’s my excuse to get the 26!

The mechanical nerd in me, is thinking about making my own, but welding a gear on the bottom of the unit. Then, buy a cheap rotisserie motor to spin the entire hunk-o-food via a chain to the gear.

The mechanical nerd in me, is thinking about making my own, but welding a gear on the bottom of the unit. Then, buy a cheap rotisserie motor to spin the entire hunk-o-food via a chain to the gear.

I’ve already figured out how to modify my Blackstone Patio Oven to spin and roast it vertically, but wanted to go wood fired route first.

That looks awesome John! I've been looking for an inexpensive way to do a vertical rotisserie for Al Pastor tacos and I think you have found it. Very nice.

Back