Pulled Pork question: Hold or shred?

11earl

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
HJ
Hi,

Newb here.

Smoked a pork butt yesterday on my WSM. Finished it wrapped in butcher paper in the oven as thunderstorms rolled through last night.

At 10PM the internal temp hit 203 so I dropped the oven to 170 degrees. This morning the butt internal temp is 163 rock steady.

We're going to eat it tonight for dinner - should I shred now to let the sauce/spices get absorbed? Or continue to hold until dinner?

Many thanks

Have you got it in a covered pan, or wrapped in foil and are there juices in the pan/pouch? I've held 6 hours with no issues what so ever, so a couple more hours at your temps should be fine.

I like breaking them down right before serving. I also don't force the pull. I take the muscle groups apart, then let them tell me how far the shredding should go. There is nothing wrong with your guests getting some chunks that essentially fall apart on their plate.

zWmuRc7.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

I've been holding it since about 1030PM last night at 170 wrapped in peach butcher paper and inside a foil pan.

I'd keep it whole until just before you serve. Make sure to keep the juices to mix back in, and put a little rub in with the pork once its pulled.

Never been a fan of the shreded pulled pork. Any time I do a butt I let it cook until it gives up the dry bone, let it set awhile and put it on the dinner table with a bowl of boiled taters and just push down on the butt and let it become big chunks of porky goodness.
You grab a couple chunks and a couple taters mash them up a bit and cover with S&P and butter.
Done.
Ed

Back