Holding overnight in an oven.....

smokeisgood

is one Smokin' Farker
I know I can search, but I'm at work and looking for quick answer. I am doing a brisket, pork butt and chicken for Sunday. I'm doing the pork butt Saturday and putting it in the fridge to reheat (because it's just as good) but want to serve the brisket fresh. My question is do I need to buy a turkey roaster that can hold at 150, or can I hold one overnight at 170 in the oven? (and no, I do not want to re-calibrate the oven). Preferably I'd like to finish the brisket around 9pm and serve it at 1 the next day without having to reheat. OR, or, or..... can I just lower the temp in the smoker to 150 and hold it there? Limo Jr. holds like an oven.

Im gonna qualify this by stating this is something I've never done.

But I would think at 170 its gonna continue to cook. Barbecue joints hold their brisket in Alto Shamms at 140 to 150, just above FDA food safe temps.

Me, I would go with the Limo Jr if its capable. Second choice is the turkey roaster.

I have done it 3 times foil boated in the oven for 15+ hours. The first 2 were my best briskets ever.

The last one, not so much. It is possible that I didn't let the brisket come down low enough in temp before putting in the oven as it dried out.

I have since bought a turkey roaster, but have not tried it yet.

A 170° oven will work.... but temps in the mid 150°'s work better for me, so I use a roaster oven. The dial on my older 18 Qt Nesco starts at 200° but there is a lot of room between there and off, which is at the 6:00 position. I can hold lower temps with no problem. I called Nesco to see if the new models could hold temps below 200° and the reply was "uh,...no". Hamilton Beach has larger 22 Qt roasters and a dial that will go down to 125°.

Po2bbVp.jpg

YQnE5XH.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'm just going to take it off and let it cool, then put it back on the Limo at 150 and hold it there. I've never tried to run the pit that low, so it worries me a little, but at higher temps it holds like an oven.

Most likely if you set your oven to 170* it’ll cycle between 150* and 190* resulting in the average set temp of 170*. Just keep that in mind when you’re considering letting it bleed off some heat or not before putting it into the oven.

I'm lucky enough that my oven will cycle down to 145 and up to 152-3 when set at 150. So yes I do it all the time.

Maybe set it to 170° and use a wooden spoon to prop the oven door just slightly?

Wouldn’t the oven still try to hold 170° and have the same swings regardless, just more of them with a ‘leak’ being introduced? If someone tries it and records it with a Fireboard or something please report back. My prediction is you’ll just heat up the house AND make the whole house smell even more heavenly of brisket and probably not be able to sleep wanting to dig in.

I tried it once and it dried out my brisket. Best one I ever did was setting it to warm, then turning it off and on every few hours. Sucks to have to get up though.

I have done the oven roaster thing and it works great. Mine was foil boat method and I believe it was close to 19 hour hold. I tried to keep the temps at 150. Thirdeye temp monitor is a wonderful idea and I wish I did that; will do it next. Having the roaster provides a lot of flexibility when cooking because you can start fairly early depending on the cut of meat.

Back