The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

FWIW, I cooked over night between 32-35 degrees. The General had no problem keeping hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not about keeping hot, it’s about cook times which is what gtsum was talking about.

Depending on where the sensor is it will remain at the set temp very near the sensor, but the rest of the chamber will be cooler. If there is a blanket helping retain the heat the cook that will be shorter.

In your example T.J. I’ll bet you a dollar to a doughnut your brisket cook time will be shorter in 80° weather vs the 35° you just cooked in.

It’s not about keeping hot, it’s about cook times which is what gtsum was talking about.

Depending on where the sensor is it will remain at the set temp very near the sensor, but the rest of the chamber will be cooler. If there is a blanket helping retain the heat the cook that will be shorter.

In your example T.J. I’ll bet you a dollar to a doughnut your brisket cook time will be shorter in 80° weather vs the 35° you just cooked in.

Add another temp probe on your next cook and see how much colder the far side is. If it's too big a difference you'll know to bump up the temp on the controller to compensate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lol. Yeah, it varies a bit:). It did take a bit longer than normal to get up to temp and to cook in those conditions. Likely my soonest ribs I’ve made on a pellet grill...likely because of the burn rate due to conditions??

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Likely your “soonest” or “smokiest” ribs? My MAK tends to put out an insane amount of smoke in cold weather!

cb307c7247a76d6a55a52d40ca3a99ae.jpg
6c85db5d553d70d7b0342f34717e78e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now that's a beautiful brisket. You really nailed this one.

Some more cooking on the Rec Tec. Today was Bavette steak with McCormick's Montreal steak seasoning. Set the temp to 450 and the grill stayed within 5 degrees pretty constantly.

I never used a digital probe before but it worked great! I never had to open the grill to check it and I pulled the steaks at 170˚ and off to the cutting board they went. The pork chops were seasoned Brazilian style which is simply coated in rock salt or ice cream salt.

Food came out great!

ArE3P8Jh.jpg

ceNjQKph.jpg

DzHBTsHh.jpg

Tony.

Last edited:
Here's pics of my first cook on my new Daniel Boone. The ribs...were cooked in the oven.:oops: By the time I had the DB on the deck and under a 4x6 canopy (did it in the rain), the ribs had been in the oven for an hour. They were OK for oven ribs, but I refuse to post pics on principle. Here are pics of the DB assembled and on the deck under the canopy.
45536107174_a0b62005bc_z_d.jpg

44442796690_25d9a5eb49_z_d.jpg

31320867237_2bfe000cfa_z_d.jpg

Notice the leaves from the wind and rain. Not the best weekend to be setting up a new grill!

Here's pics of my first cook on my new Daniel Boone. The ribs...were cooked in the oven.:oops: By the time I had the DB on the deck and under a 4x6 canopy (did it in the rain), the ribs had been in the oven for an hour. They were OK for oven ribs, but I refuse to post pics on principle. Here are pics of the DB assembled and on the deck under the canopy.

Notice the leaves from the wind and rain. Not the best weekend to be setting up a new grill!
Congrats on your new grill. Tell me about the weather, I got my new Timberline and we got 12 inches of snow this weekend. I left it in the garage for the time being.

congrats on your new DB , but why did you not cook in the rain ? just close the lid .

mine hasn't seen a cover in years .

7 years old and still pumping out great bbq :)

First cook on my new DB - for real! The first time...reminds me of what high school boys go through. They think about their first time, hoping it will be with the beautiful cheerleader that everyone wants to sleep with. When it happens, it's usually the class slut that sleeps with everybody (not autobiographical). I was hoping my first cook would be ribs for the ages or a Homeric brisket, but it was...chicken breast.:cry:

Ready to go on the DB. Just a little rub and EVOO

46280956441_6128ec7e46_z_d.jpg

On the DB. I had 2 Maverick probes to check the temp from side to side.

46230856792_9874457924_z_d.jpg

My plate.

46230865972_6c3745d558_z_d.jpg

Chicken turned out great, but the DB temps have me a little concerned. 2 Maverick probes that I have tested and know to be accurate, and the temps read 20-45 degrees low. Neither probe ever registered 350; one got to 337 once but only for a couple of minutes.

Verdict: successful cook, as good as I have had for boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Need to explain the temp thing though. I moved the heat deflector back and forth like they tell you and think temps are pretty even, but as it stands, I have to set the temp 20-40 degrees higher on the controller to get what I want. I'll figure it out - minor stuff - I love this grill/smoker!

First cook on my new DB - for real! The first time...reminds me of what high school boys go through. They think about their first time, hoping it will be with the beautiful cheerleader that everyone wants to sleep with. When it happens, it's usually the class slut that sleeps with everybody (not autobiographical). I was hoping my first cook would be ribs for the ages or a Homeric brisket, but it was...chicken breast.:cry:

My plate.

Chicken turned out great, but the DB temps have me a little concerned. 2 Maverick probes that I have tested and know to be accurate, and the temps read 20-45 degrees low. Neither probe ever registered 350; one got to 337 once but only for a couple of minutes.

Verdict: successful cook, as good as I have had for boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Need to explain the temp thing though. I moved the heat deflector back and forth like they tell you and think temps are pretty even, but as it stands, I have to set the temp 20-40 degrees higher on the controller to get what I want. I'll figure it out - minor stuff - I love this grill/smoker!

Chicken looks great!

My plate.

Beautiful looking chicken boobies [emoji106]

My GMG Daniel Boone was not getting hot enough but I figured it out: had the drip tray in backwards.:doh:

These were cooked on the pooper. Definitely a good flavor from the wood. Not the best burger I ever made but it wasn’t bad. Cheese, onions, and mushrooms. I was going for a mushroom and Swiss burger but I forgot to pick up some Swiss so whatever lol.

Last edited:
Back