Favorite Brine

Sakamoto

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
With Thanksgiving coming up I thought I see what are your favorite recipe's. I've always just used Kosher Salt and Brown Sugar with some aromatics thrown in and I want to try something a little different this year.

Here is a compilation of BBQ-Brethren Brines with their respective threads.
My Favorite being Patio Daddio's Ultimate Thanksgiving Turkey Brine...

Patio Daddio's - The Ultimate Thanksgiving Turkey Brine
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1087814&postcount=1

1 1/2 gal Ice water (lots of ice)
1/2 gal Hot tap water
2 cups Dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups Kosher salt
1/4 cup Old Bay seasoning (available in most grocery stores)
1 tsp Chinese five spice (Asian section of most grocery stores -- I like the Sun Luck brand)
Juice of 2 lemons
Juice of 2 oranges
Extra ice as needed

Get a clean food-safe five-gallon bucket, wash it, then sanitized it with a gallon of water and a capful of bleach.
Make the ice water in the bucket.
Bring the tap water to a boil in a stock pot or large pan.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the salt, sugar, citrus juice and all of the seasonings.
Let the seasoning mixture sit in the pan, stirring occasionally, until all of the salt and sugar are dissolved.
Add the water and seasoning mixture to the ice water in the bucket.
Gently submerge the turkey in the brine, breast-side-down. Oh, and make sure you've removed both pouches of innards.
Note: It must be completely submerged, so add more ice and water if necessary. If the turkey tends to float, you can seal a rock in a zip-top bag and stuff it in the cavity.
Set the bucket in the coldest place you can find (I put mine outside or in the garage), cover with foil, wrap with a sleeping bag or blankets, and let sit at least 12 and up to 24 hours.
Caution: It's critical that the brine be kept at or under 40º throughout the entire brining process, so check the ice and add more as needed.
An hour before you're ready to cook the turkey, lift it gently and slowly from the brine, allowing it to drain completely. I turn it over just to make sure.
Pat the turkey dry with paper towels.
Rub the skin with canola oil and roast or smoke as desired.

==================================================================================

Patio Daddio's Big Bird Bath
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1450012&postcount=1

Here is a simple brine recipe that works very well with turkey or chicken.. It's fairly simple, but this gets the job done in short order.

1 1/2 gal Ice water (about 2/3 ice to 1/3 water)
1/2 gal Water
1 1/2 cups Kosher salt
2 cups Golden brown sugar
1/3 cup Old Bay seasoning
1 Tbsp Black peppercorns (whole)

Sanitize a food-safe 5-gallon bucket with water and bleach, then rinse very well.

Make the ice water in the bucket and set aside.

Bring the 1/2 gallon of water to a rolling boil in a large stock pot.

Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir well.

Remove the brine from the heat let it sit in the pan, stirring occasionally, until all of the salt and sugar are dissolved.

Add the seasoning mixture to the ice water in the bucket and mix well. Let stand until room temperature.

The brine must be very cold, so add more ice as needed.

Gently submerge the turkey in the brine, breast-side-down. Oh, and make sure you've removed both pouches of innards.
Note: It must be completely submerged, so add more ice and water if necessary. If the turkey tends to float, you can seal a rock in a zip-top bag and stuff it in the cavity.
Set the bucket in the coldest place you can find (I put mine outside or in the garage), cover with foil, wrap with a sleeping bag or blankets, and let sit at least 12 and up to 24 hours.
Caution: It's critical that the brine be kept at or under 40° throughout the entire brining process, so check the ice and add more as needed.
An hour before you're ready to cook the turkey, lift it gently and slowly from the brine, allowing it to drain completely. I turn it over just to make sure.
Pat the turkey dry with paper towels.
Rub the skin with canola oil and roast or smoke as desired.

==================================================================================

Cranberry-Apple Smoked Turkey Breast Brine
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1426145&postcount=9

1 gallon cranberry-apple juice cocktail (cold)
1/2 cup canning salt
1/2 cup granulated turbinado
1/2 cup of Pure Maple Syrup
1 teaspoon white pepper
-Heat a small amount of Cran-Apple Juice in a pot on the stove, slowly add the rest of the ingredients until fully dissolved. Add to the rest of the cold Cran-Apple juice in a large bucket. Use a meat injector to liberally inject brine into turkey breasts. Place in brine and let set for 12-18 hours.
-When ready rinse with cold water, pat dry, and rub with thyme and rosemary. Smoke with Apple wood. 30 min per lb at 300 deg or 15 per lb at 325 deg
-When finished wrap tight with foil and let set 1 hour in cooler or wrapped in a towel

Diva Q Turkey Brine
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1428314&postcount=11

6 – 355ml cans Rock Creek Dry Cider (or substitute a non alcohlic apple cider)
2 cans Apple Juice 1.2L
1 cup Kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tbsp black peppercorns
2 tbsp all spice berries
1 gallon ice water
5 gallon bucket

Apple-Brined and Hickory Smoked Turkey posted by peppasawce
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1425554&postcount=4

2 quarts apple juice
1 pound brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
3 oranges quartered
4 ounces fresh or dry ginger( if fresh ginger is used slice thinly)
15 whole cloves(don't skip out on this please you won't be sorry)
7 bay leaves
7 large cloves of garlic minced
This Brine will be enough for a 12 to 14 pound Turkey

Cook the Apple Juice, Brown Sugar, and Salt...Bring this to a boil for 1 minute...Let this mixture cool to room temperature!!!

I use a 5 gallon bucket, or you can use any container that holds the brine and the turkey, and one that does not spill over... Combine "3 Quarts of Water", the Oranges, Ginger, Cloves, Bay Leaves, and the Garlic. Add the Apple Mixture and Stir...

Remove any fat and giblets from your Turkey... Rinse your Turkey and drain it... Then submerge your Turkey in your Brine... Weigh it down if necessary to completely immerse the bird... And Refrigerate it for 24 Hours!!! Remove the Turkey from the Brine, let it sit for a couple of hours... Then Smoke that thang LOL!!!

I have used this recipe for 15 years and never ever had a complaint!!!

Cranbury/Apple Brined Turkey by Q_Egg
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=312804&postcount=13

2/3 C. kosher salt
2/3 C. sugar
6 slices fresh ginger
2 bay leaves
6 wholr cloves
1 t. crushed black peppercorns
2 t. whole allspice berries crushed
8 cups cranberry/apple cocktail or a cranberry/cider combo

It took 2 batches (to cover the 20lb bird in a large food-safe bucket.

IF I wet brine, I use the Patio Daddio's Ultimate Thanksgiving Turkey brine as listed above...

Awesome! This site is such a treasure trove of great information! Thanks IamMadMan!!

+ 1 on the PatioDaddio Brine
Smokin Okie- also a member- Turkey Brine 101 is also excellent- cook shack and a great tutorial too
For Dry Brine I like Harvest Brine- sold by a member here
Check out Wampus Turkey Thread

The first one I'd like to add to the list is Old Dave's Killer Turkey which is a combination technique using an injectable brine (which I am a huge fan of) and a marinade at the same time. The beauty of Dave's technique is that the brine/marinade time required is only overnight, which to me is 12 hours. It's only fair to say I make a slight change in Dave's recipe I reduce the honey and add 2 teaspoons of white pepper.

The second recipe (or technique) is called Mad Max Turkey and it does NOT use a brine, but it's worth the read as it's a classic method and covers all the bases from selecting and cleaning the bird to making the gravy. There are also plenty of good photos. Max cooks his turkey on a Big Green Egg, but it will work on most other smokers or the oven. There is one technique that is worth trying... and this involves icing the breast for 30 minutes (I go a tad longer) before cooking. This gives the dark meat a head start on cooking so when the breast is a perfect 165° the dark meat is in the 175° range.

Dry brine sounds interesting might have to do a couple for 12-14lb birds and do one with dry brine. Might be a silly question but do you guys inject the dry brined birds?

Thanks for the Harvest Brine love all.
Dry Brine FTW!

There are some fantastic wet brines listed above too.

Do you harvest brine and then before cooking add additional rub? Say if I was to use this and Meatheads simon and garfunkel rub after dry brining

I have been using Harvest Brine from Naturiffic on turkey, chickens and pork loin almost since it came out. Simply the best. Period.

Just ordered some. Interested in that dry brine + a rub before smoking.

I've added a rub after the dry brine no problem. I'll probably use some simple montreal chicken rub after the brine process. I do tend to go a little lighter on the rub than if I hadn't used the brine prior.

I've hit it with rub after a Harvest Brine and had no issues. I did go light on the rub though. Last one I did was unwrapped from the plastic wrap and placed straight on the smoker. No issues at all and was delicious!

Back