WSM vs PBC vs UDS vs Bronco

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Do you think any of these cookers puts out a better finished product than the others? They each have their advantages feature wise but when the cook is done, do you think one of these cooks better than the others?

I have no experience with a PBC but I have a WSM and had a UDS. To this day I think the best butts I ever did were on the UDS. Granted I've only used the WSM maybe 5 times and only once did I do butts so there is still some learning to do. I could run the UDS blindfolded. I think the grease dripping on the fire makes all the difference but I know some people don't like that. I could take the water pan out of the WSM and get that effect but I'm not over the honeymoon stage yet of trying to keep her clean and pretty. :-D

They are all generally do the same thing with some variations. I have a UDS for years. Produces great Q and sold temps.

Can't go wrong with the PBC. Super easy to use and produces great tasting food!

I will state that the WSM with a hanging rack system is an extremely versatile set up, and gives a lot more options than just dripping fat on the coals.

All same thing. When comparing smokers in same family it comes down to features,space, and chef ability. They all will cook almost same. Rest is up to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can not cook in the rain with a WSM. The water runs down the side of the cooker and into the bottom causing ash to be released ruining your cook.

Can not cook in the rain with a WSM. The water runs down the side of the cooker and into the bottom causing ash to be released ruining your cook.

Not to mention the fact that rain will cool it down in a hurry. I use a cheap patio umbrella.

WSM is not meant to be a hot and fast cooker. I can maintain 350 or so by cracking the lid just a hair. But it zooms out of control if I crack it just a little too much.

With the lid fully seated, it holds 250 like a champ all day long on a ring full of briquettes. Great low and slow cooker. Wonderful flavor with your favorite briquettes and a few wood chunks.

The WSM doesn't do well with cooking directly over the coals. Not enough air flow to vent the burning fat smoke. I like a direct-grilled flavor profile, but every time I've tried it on the WSM, the meat comes out tasting very sooty.

I grabbed a bronco from Lowe’s the other day for $175! Put it together last night and about to go do a burn in. Have some tritip to do like a chopped brisket later for some tacos

Currently a Bronco in the lineup. Previous owner of multiple WSM’s and an OG-PBC

I’ve never built a UDS (just a tamale pot mini wsm)

For me the thing that sets them apart is the hinged lid. The taste of food can be quite similar or you can make them quite different with deflectors, water pans, height of grated,?hanging.

I can’t speak for a UDS, but I’ve always admired those UDS with a Big Poppa Kit & cowgirl’s custom grate.

My opinion though I’ve never cooked on one is build a custom UDS with Big Poppa bling kit, and with the others decide how important a hinged lid is because the food can be made to taste quite similar

I started with a PBC and, later, added a 22.5" WSM to the arsenal. At this point, I don't use the PBC anymore. In my experience, the food I cook on the WSM simply tastes better. I used to make a caveat that the PBC did really well on ribs and chicken. But, frankly, the ribs I do on the WSM turn out better. And for chicken, I can get great results on the WSM or a Weber Kettle. I really need to sell the PBC. It's a good little cooker and I credit it for getting me into smoking meats after many a fail on a cheap, big box, offset.

I haven't cooked on any of the pits listed other than the WSM. I cut my teeth on a Brinkmann Cimmaron so I have some other experience.

I think the food I cook on the WSM is just fantastic. I find them terribly easy to control and they are versatile. Did a 16lb turkey Thursday with a little apple wood. Everyone loved it.

My 82 year old dad almost bought a Bronco... he walked up and was most impressed with it...until he grabbed the handle and said "hell- I can't move this". His wife (LOVE her to death) will not allow a smoker on their deck- big honkin' Weber gas grill? Yep. Smoker? Nope.

but he liked the hell out of it.

I started with a PBC and, later, added a 22.5" WSM to the arsenal. At this point, I don't use the PBC anymore. In my experience, the food I cook on the WSM simply tastes better. I used to make a caveat that the PBC did really well on ribs and chicken. But, frankly, the ribs I do on the WSM turn out better. And for chicken, I can get great results on the WSM or a Weber Kettle. I really need to sell the PBC. It's a good little cooker and I credit it for getting me into smoking meats after many a fail on a cheap, big box, offset.

So weird Ribs and chicken come out 1,000x better on my PBC then my WSM or kettle. Maybe you don't like the grease hitting the coals and the flavor it imparts.

So weird Ribs and chicken come out 1,000x better on my PBC then my WSM or kettle. Maybe you don't like the grease hitting the coals and the flavor it imparts.

That definitely was part of it the last time I did ribs on it. I also feel like I get a more even cook on the WSM though. But the smoke flavor definitely was different, and probably something I didn't notice as much when I was using the PBC as my only cooker during the year before I bought the WSM. Don't get me wrong, they're good little cookers. But in owning both over the last 4--5 years, I definitely have a preference for the food from the WSM.

As they say, everyone's mileage will vary

Back