Weber 26" vs 22.5" Grill?

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
For those who have experience with both -

I have had a 22.5 for several years and I love it. But I often wish I had a bit more space. I get by using some creative grilling gymnastics, but the extra space would be useful. Problem is, with my other equipment and storage commitments, I do not have room for BOTH Webers.

If I sell my 22.5 and buy a 26, will I regret it? In other words, is the 26 so much bigger that it is not fun for every day grilling for a small family? I'm thinking of how much more charcoal it might use per cook, and what it will take to get it up to temp versus the 22.5. Is the 26 a pain to use for smaller batches of food?

Bottom line: Is it a good idea for a small family to ONLY have the 26, or is the 26 more of a compliment to a 22.5? If you could only have one in my situation, which would it be?

Huge difference, the upgrade is worth it. I heard that the grills used to all be 26.5 and got shrunk for sdome reason. The 26.5 is a great stand alone grilling beast. My backyard will never be without one.

I've had a few 22"s and now only have my 26". Huge difference and worth every penny. Much more versatile than the 22" and with the slow n' sear it doesn't use much more fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple 22.5's and a 26. If I had to keep only one, it'd be the 26. Only snag is the rotissirie setup for the 22.5 is something I use fairly often. There are rotis rigs available for the 26, but they are not cheap. The 26 is pretty much my go-to - well, now that I have 2 teenage eating machines, the Ranch Kettle is getting more of a workout! :shocked:

I have both. And use them both. Cook for wife and myself, mainly. If I could only have one, it would be the 26.5.

I'd say we have a consensus :) Good point about the slow n sear using less fuel. Thanks all!

26'er definitely isn't too big for day to day use. I've fired it up to cook 2 hamburgers. Fuel usage isn't that much different. Perhaps just a tad more to reach the same temps.

That said, what kind of gymnastics are you doing ? What do you not have room for ? Reason I'm asking is that you could always make a hover grate/grill type of thing with either a half a 22 grate (or an 18 or 14 grate and some carriage bolts.

26'er definitely isn't too big for day to day use. I've fired it up to cook 2 hamburgers. Fuel usage isn't that much different. Perhaps just a tad more to reach the same temps.

That said, what kind of gymnastics are you doing ? What do you not have room for ? Reason I'm asking is that you could always make a hover grate/grill type of thing with either a half a 22 grate (or an 18 or 14 grate and some carriage bolts.

I have a hover grill and still have to get very creative to smoke a pork butt and two racks of ribs without having meat over fire. That leaves no room for beans or Mac and cheese. I've also run out of room cooking steaks and burgers. It's like a church at 85÷ seating capacity. It works ok most days, but it's a squeeze and..... We prolly gonna have to do somethin bout this sometime soon!

My 22inch Weber lasted for 11 years (outside and never covered). My loving kids bent the lid beyond repair so I upgraded to a 26. It's a beast. It doesn't have as many accessories as a 22 but it has a lot more cooking space. I love it.

26'r with a Vortex is my go to, favorite combo. Maybe consider getting another 22 for extra room when you need it?

I have never regreted buying the 26'r.

I vote the Ranch. Whenever you run out of space on the ranch, you know it’s a party.

• Thanks
Reactions: IXL
If you are only keeping one grill, go with the 26er. I've got both, but use my 22" performer because of the table and gas ignition. However, I have 4 other grills (BGE, WSM, Traeger and Weber Summit) in active rotation so space is not an issue.

I have had 22s for many years...
Recently picked up a 26’er.

I am a changed man.

My 22” Performer - nice rig, has been relegated to charcoal chimney lighting duties (due to the gas assist)

26’er all the way

picture.php

picture.php

I have the Ranch Kettle and a few 22's.I wish I had a 26.The smokey joe is fun when the "grandboy" (age 7) wants to join in.

I have 2 26.75’s, one ranch, and a performer. I definitely vote for the 26.75 over any other Weber charcoal grill. I’m putting my ranch up for sale now that I have two 26s.

Things I have done on my 26:
- 11 lb (5 kg) pork belly. Space to tuck brats in around the side too.
- 3 racks of back ribs w/out overlapping. Likewise with brats.
- 10 lb (~5 kg) chicken leg quarters when they go on sale for 49¢/ lb

I agree with what everyone else has said here but just wanted to give some examples that make the 26 indispensable.

Back