Turkey Practice Run

dannypat21

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I am in charge of the turkey for Thanksgiving day so I wanted to do a test run. I brined a 16 pound bird for 24 hours, then dried the turkey and let sit in fridge for 6 hours. I then made a compund butter with fresh garlic, fresh sage, rosemary, and tyhme, and some salt and pepper. Rubbed it all under the skin and all over the bird. Smoked at 325 for 3 hours with hickory and cherry. Thanks to all the great info I got on this site it was the best turkey I have ever tasted. Super moist, tender and tasty.

002.jpg

004-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

If that is what you consider practice MY Lord! what is your bird gonna look like when its for real! Never seen one that moist!

Wow. Most impressive. :thumb:

What did you use for your brine?

Gallon water, 3/4 cups kosher salt, 3/4 cups brown sugar, some apple juice, wooster sauce, chopped apple, chopped onion, honey, fresh tyhme and rosemary, garlic, black pepper and some cinnmon sticks.

Looks good man!..Left Coast wishes the best to you and the family for the holidays..looking forward to meeting up at tom's!..we just got a new Mak 2 star to do our chicken on..we are trying to end the year with a bang!

Back