Fourth of July Huli Huli Chicken, Sausage, Peppers and Onions

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Started some of this yesterday, a fun weekend of cooking.

Roasted Red Pepper Pesto
Eggplant Rollatini
Huli Huli Chicken
Sausage, Peppers and Onions
Antipasto Pasta Salad
Fried Potatoes

The Eggplant Rollatini was posted a week or so ago, recipe courtesy of Chef Pasquale/Orsara Recipes.

Huli Huli Chicken recipe from Nagi/recipetineats

Antipasto Pasta Salad was recently posted by Chef John/foodwishes.com

The chicken marinated overnight in the fridge. I fired up both Kamados this morning as I had a lot of chicken to grill, so the Bubba Keg came out of hibernation. Both were set up indirect and as I had boneless thighs and boneless breasts, the thighs were on the Keg, the breasts on the Golden's -

X8ZeA0E.jpg

pKJvp0e.jpg

Eventually I moved all the chicken to the Keg as it was running a tad hotter and browning the pieces nicely. I kept basting throughout the cook with the reserved marinade -

ezBuJRH.jpg

While those two grills were busy with the chicken, the Blackstone was filled with Sausage, Red Peppers, Green Peppers, Yellow Peppers, Orange Peppers, Onions and the Home Fries. It may not be red, white and blue but it's plenty colorful. It's a good thing I have a 36" Blackstone! -

v6OkYBx.jpg

jomP7oh.jpg

Antipasto Pasta Salad (sorry, not the best pic) -

Yi3flWY.jpg

Unfortunately, the nicely plated serving pics with grilled pineapple, chicken and limes turned out too blurry to post. Darn. But the chef finally loaded some goodies on his plate and was able to enjoy his hard work -

1HVHNYI.jpg

n7SFtsW.jpg

4tCwJ2f.jpg

H4GBQM7.jpg

All in all, a busy but effective two days of cooking to celebrate the Fourth! Happy Independence Day weekend to all the USA Brethren.

Thanks for checking in on this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

Now that's what I call a feast, Job well done :thumb:

Dom, You sure hit that cook out of the park!! :thumb::thumb:
The Chicken looks fabulous and everything plated is just awesome!!
Looks like a mighty fine time!!

Thanks all. I didn't want to make the usual burgers and dogs, so some timely videos by Nagi and Chef John were perfect for this get together. I've never made Huli Huli Chicken before but it was a winner. After making this, I'd strongly recommend using chicken thighs. The breasts were good, but I really had to be careful not to overcook them. But they were flavorful and the presentation was beautiful. Too bad my pictures of the plated chicken sucked.

The surprise hit was Chef John's Antipasto Pasta Salad. I pretty much followed his recommendations as far as ingredients:

Rotini
Ham, Salami and Large Pepperoni
Provolone Cheese
Red onion
Roasted Red Peppers
Green Peppers
Pepperoncini
Artichoke Hearts
Green olives, Black olives
Cherry tomatoes
Fresh parsley

I even had anchovies on hand to make the dressing as recommended, substituting Red Apple Balsamic Vinegar for the Red Wine Vinegar. Lots of prep work re: slicing the cold cuts and veggies to bite size pieces, but I'll definitely make this again.

As I'm sure, like many of you I've missed being able to host family gatherings. We kept it under 10 family members and of course were outside. I simply enjoy the fun of being able to make use of the grills and put together a nice spread that the family enjoys. It's a lot different than just cooking for me and Jeanne.

Thank goodness for the Blackstone, I would have had a difficult time managing all the food on it in CI skillets. It was good to fire up the Bubba Keg once more, it hasn't seen use in many months. My wife always wonders if I can manage all the grills going at once, but then she realizes who she's married to. :grin: Plus we had the oven in use for the Eggplant Rollatini.

Fortunately, most of the leftovers went home with guests in takeout containers.

-Dom

Thanks all. I didn't want to make the usual burgers and dogs, so some timely videos by Nagi and Chef John were perfect for this get together. I've never made Huli Huli Chicken before but it was a winner. After making this, I'd strongly recommend using chicken thighs. The breasts were good, but I really had to be careful not to overcook them. But they were flavorful and the presentation was beautiful. Too bad my pictures of the plated chicken sucked.

The surprise hit was Chef John's Antipasto Pasta Salad. I pretty much followed his recommendations as far as ingredients:

Rotini
Ham, Salami and Large Pepperoni
Provolone Cheese
Red onion
Roasted Red Peppers
Green Peppers
Pepperoncini
Artichoke Hearts
Green olives, Black olives
Cherry tomatoes
Fresh parsley

I even had anchovies on hand to make the dressing as recommended, substituting Red Apple Balsamic Vinegar for the Red Wine Vinegar. Lots of prep work re: slicing the cold cuts and veggies to bite size pieces, but I'll definitely make this again.

As I'm sure, like many of you I've missed being able to host family gatherings. We kept it under 10 family members and of course were outside. I simply enjoy the fun of being able to make use of the grills and put together a nice spread that the family enjoys. It's a lot different than just cooking for me and Jeanne.

Thank goodness for the Blackstone, I would have had a difficult time managing all the food on it in CI skillets. It was good to fire up the Bubba Keg once more, it hasn't seen use in many months. My wife always wonders if I can manage all the grills going at once, but then she realizes who she's married to. :grin: Plus we had the oven in use for the Eggplant Rollatini.

Fortunately, most of the leftovers went home with guests in takeout containers.

-Dom

It's really nice to be able to cook for other people, and share the things you really like. I am glad it went so well, I would have been a very happy guest!

You were certainly multitasking on that cook and the played shot shows that you pulled it off successfully. A most excellent gathering and meal.

Awesome job Dom - I wrote that Antipasto Salad recipe in my book for this weekend. Happy to hear it was a hit! Also, agree about the blackstone, thing is a beast, absolutely love the room it gives you to cook for a crowd!

Back