Turkey and rib cook pecking order

sincitydisciple01

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Cooking spares and a bone in turkey breast this weekend. It's going to be pretty cold, so I'm thinking of trying to consolidate from 2 drums to 1. If I go two grates and a dome lid, is it safe to put the turkey on the grate ABOVE the ribs? Any concerns about any type of cross contamination from the turkey drippings falling onto the ribs below them? I'd be OK going the other way and putting the ribs on the top grate, but I don't think there's enough space between the 2 grates. Worse comes to worse, I can either use both drums or single thread the cooking. Just looking to save a little time when it's going to be about 20 degrees outside. thanks!

You could hang a drip pan with s-hooks below the turkey or put it in a pan on a roasting rack.

If you want the turkey on top I would put it in a roasting pan on a rack. The thought of turkey-basted ribs just doesn't sound appetizing to me. Plus, you can put some aromatic veggies and herbs in the pan along with some stock or wine and that will flavor the bird and give you a nice base for gravy.

Cutting the breast in 1/2 should make it fit OK on the lower shelf.
I have done that for different reasons and it coos just fine.

Just a thought.

TIM

Back