Offset Smoker Reset

djrobb

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I've been smoking on a Humphrey Pint and WSM for a few years but wanted to get a small offset and learn to cook with it for fun. Today I picked up a used Pitts and Spitts offset. It's in good shape, but I want to see what advice you all have for updates or changes. I have a few specific questions, but if you have any other thoughts please feel free to make suggestion!

The primary cooking grate is only 24" long which is good for me. I cook small quantities and have the Humphrey for competitions.

Questions:

1) The firebox has shelf supports (in bad shape) halfway up. It also came with a piece of steel that sits on it. Not sure that's an ideal setup. Was thinking I could build a sliding basket and use the shelf supports to keep the basket off the bottom. Maybe put an ash pan at the bottom?

Or, leave that piece of metal on the bottom of the firebox upside and put the basket on top of the fins? (See photos)

2) the previous owner sprayed everything that looked rusty with high temp grill paint. That includes the food racks. I wish he hadn't done that. Not sure what I should do about that. I often cook in stainless racks on pans anyway.

3) can I get a cover for this thing? It has to live outside.

4) there is no heat deflector under the primary cooking rack. Not sure if there should be. If I cook in a pan (on a rack) I guess that's some pretty good deflection

5) the latches stick on the firebox. I guess I'll just Crisco that? Maybe I'll look for a cold to the touch handle?

6) I'm about to fire it up, but I presume that rolltop lid is pretty leaky. Not sure if nomex or high temp sealant would be helpful.

Thanks for any advice! I got a good deal on it so I'm willing to put some money in to it.

Attachments

• IMG_9363.jpg
    IMG_9363.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9366.jpg
    IMG_9366.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_9367.jpg
    IMG_9367.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9372.jpg
    IMG_9372.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_9373.jpg
    IMG_9373.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9368.jpg
    IMG_9368.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9370.jpg
    IMG_9370.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 93
Take a grate from pic 6 and put it on fins in pic 4 for a fire grate or make similar.
No gaskets.
I'd hit Cooking grates with a wire brush to get what paint I could off then season them.
If has a deflector - most don't have anything else unless you add it - just have to see how it runs.
I'd hit latches with WD40.

Back