New Thermometer and a 2" Porterhouse!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey folks! I just purchased and received a Javelin Thermometer.. one of the 25 dollar ones. The only way I had to check its accuracy was the ice water.. I never can get the ice water test right.. but it read at 32-34 degrees. Good enough for me...

Here's the Raw picture... for size comparison here's the porterhouse next to a 0.69/lb ribeye.

9dKchRUl.jpg

Steaks with a foil pack of broccoli. I seasoned with Pit Boss Steak & Chop rub. This stuff is ALMOST like Montreal steak seasoning but its different enough I like the flavor from it better.

ZZFr9Lml.jpg

Grilled some squash... realized something very quick.. its easy to lose slices of squash to going through the grill grate.. so I didn't have as much as I planned on having LOL
Qs5IeQOl.jpg

The Money Shot!
L4WKreQl.jpg

Last edited:
Also Yes... this is beef from the same local farm I've been purchasing all my meat from.. I haven't purchased beef or pork from the store for a long time except special cuts such as brisket, pork butt.

I'll say this.... I ate off of this steak 3 times.. I could of ate the whole thing in one sitting.. but I just couldn't justify doing it even tho it was delicious!

I do an Ice Water bath in a pan. There's your cold end.

Then.... I turn on the burner under the pan and SLOWLY let it come up to boiling. And loosely watch the thermometer rise.

There's your rough estimate.

Now, know this, the readily available thermometers are not going to be all that accurate. You are just getting a ballpark idea of your new thermometer, at your elevation. (Yep, elevation affects the reading.)
Too many folks expect laboratory or industrial accuracy and it just is not going to be available at a reasonably priced BBQ poker-checker.
Consider them as a better guess at your meat's done-ness. But don't expect 1/10 of a degree, repeatable accuracy. :pray:
This is BarbyQue. Not manufacturing.
Have a beer while you cook.

I do an Ice Water bath in a pan. There's your cold end.

Then.... I turn on the burner under the pan and SLOWLY let it come up to boiling. And loosely watch the thermometer rise.

There's your rough estimate.

Now, know this, the readily available thermometers are not going to be all that accurate. You are just getting a ballpark idea of your new thermometer, at your elevation. (Yep, elevation affects the reading.)
Too many folks expect laboratory or industrial accuracy and it just is not going to be available at a reasonably priced BBQ poker-checker.
Consider them as a better guess at your meat's done-ness. But don't expect 1/10 of a degree, repeatable accuracy. :pray:
This is BarbyQue. Not manufacturing.
Have a beer while you cook.

Yup.. exactly how I feel. getting 32-34ish degree's in my cup of ice water.. was plenty good enough for me.. I never let the thermometer decide if its done or not.. just lets me know if I'm in the ball park for doneness.. and if I need to continue to cook or pull it I decide that for myself

I'm gonna test the boiling water.

Boiling water is harder to get right than the ice bath, which is why the ice bath is the recommended way to check a thermometer. Once water gets boiling, you get steam, bubbles and pretty much anything except undisturbed water. It's also affected by the altitude you are at. It's a far worse way to check a thermometer.

Steak looks excellent I have eaten a 24oz porterhouse That is a lot but excellent

Beautiful steaks!

However, when you said .69/lb Ribeye my pea brain saw $.69/lb and I said to myself.... “self! I don’t care where’s it’s at, but tomorrow we’re heading out to buy $1000 worth!!!”

Once again... Hopes are dashed :becky:

Steak looks excellent I have eaten a 24oz porterhouse That is a lot but excellent

I do believe this porterhouse weighed in at 2.2lbs. Didn't remember to look at the package first when making this post.

Beautiful steaks!

However, when you said .69/lb Ribeye my pea brain saw $.69/lb and I said to myself.... “self! I don’t care where’s it’s at, but tomorrow we’re heading out to buy $1000 worth!!!”

Once again... Hopes are dashed :becky:

Sorry man.. didn't mean to get your hopes up.. I almost could of guessed someone was going to say that when I read my original post over! Kept it on purpose or I almost changed it to #

Edit: LOL just realized I did type .69/lb..... Was thinking I had wrote .69lb.. Guess it was a habit.

Back