Ribeye Roast ~ Smoked + Sous Vide + End Sear ~ All In 18 Hours

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Anova has one or two references to 10 hour sous vide cooks, but mentions a change in texture. Same with the "Sous Vide Everything" guys who did a 24hr, 12hr, 6hr and 3hr comparison and they mentioned to 24hr cook time made the meat too soft. But after reading about extended cooks on various prime rib roasts on another forum and from a food blogger I wanted to give it try, but did not want to experiment on a 3 or 4 bone roast.

I had the butcher cut a 2.5" boneless ribeye, so it's either a really thick steak or a small rib roast. Anyways it weighed in just over two pounds. I let it dry for 48 hours, injected it, seasoning was Montreal and a grocery store blend and that sat in the fridge for 15 hours.

6L3RzKH.jpg

2f3lu4Y.jpg

Next, I smoked it with pecan wood at 225° until the internal was just under 90°. I started in a 132.5 sous vide bath for 12 hours. Pasteurization occurs after 6 or 7 hours, so I was good there. At hour 12, I lowered the water temp to 120° because I planned on a torch end sear especially to crisp up the fat.

cs1fTVY.jpg

a7eAQH4.jpg

WTWOLMz.jpg

R5R2NOA.jpg

The results: I loved it. the meat was not mushy, it maintained a smokey flavor and the doneness was spot on.

ABayVCR.jpg

Back