KCBS Weighted Scoring

Twissi

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hi all!
We competed this last weekend, and did well. But, like most of us, wondered what we could have done to do better. A looooong time ago, I downloaded a spreadsheet (from someone here?) where one could input scores and see "if I work on the taste to get an 8 or 9 instead of the 7" where would that put me in this particular contest. I know it doesn't make any difference on that specific contest, and maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I'd still like to know. :roll:

My question is: Has KCBS changed their calculations?
The spreadsheet I have is:
0.5714 - Appearance
2.2858 - Taste
1.1428 - Tenderness

The problem is, when I input my scores, the result is not what's on my score sheet. It's close, but not exact. I can't find the current calculations on KCBS website, and doing a basic Google search, can't find anything newer than 2009.

Any thoughts on this?

The numbers in the 2021 scoring look to be slightly different.

6) The weighting factors for the point system are:
Appearance - .5600
Taste – 2.2972
Tenderness-1.1428

I did a search for "KCBS 2021 Rules" and was able to find them. I have found using Google is easier than the KCBS web site.

Hi all!
We competed this last weekend, and did well. But, like most of us, wondered what we could have done to do better. A looooong time ago, I downloaded a spreadsheet (from someone here?) where one could input scores and see "if I work on the taste to get an 8 or 9 instead of the 7" where would that put me in this particular contest. I know it doesn't make any difference on that specific contest, and maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I'd still like to know. :roll:

My question is: Has KCBS changed their calculations?
The spreadsheet I have is:
0.5714 - Appearance
2.2858 - Taste
1.1428 - Tenderness

The problem is, when I input my scores, the result is not what's on my score sheet. It's close, but not exact. I can't find the current calculations on KCBS website, and doing a basic Google search, can't find anything newer than 2009.

Any thoughts on this?

The judge score spreadsheet I have is dated 2013 and uses these multipliers:

I'm guessing it came from someone here and I probably renamed it.

The numbers in the 2021 scoring look to be slightly different.

6) The weighting factors for the point system are:
Appearance - .5600
Taste – 2.2972
Tenderness-1.1428

I did a search for "KCBS 2021 Rules" and was able to find them. I have found using Google is easier than the KCBS web site.

The KCBS website has quite a bit of information, but you need member log in. I would think the rules would be easier to access.

2021 Backyard Rules and Regulations
2021 KCBS Steak Rules
2021 Master Series Rules & Regulations
2021 NPB Kids Que Ancillary Rules
2021 National Pork Board Kids Que Ancillary Rules
2021 Pork Chop Ancillary Rules
2021 Rep Advisories - a Guide for KCBS Teams & Judges
2021 Turkey Smoke Series Rules
Ancillary Category Guidelines
Definition of a Backyard Team
How a Tie Is Broken
KCBS Bylaws
Kosher Rules and Regulations
Member Code of Conduct and Disciplinary Policy

In addition to the above, there are various judge documents and judge forms, plus your judging history with table scores to compare to.

Back