Which Temperature probe Do You Use?

I just use a Thermapen Mk4.

I upgraded from a cheap $15 Chinese one and was fairly disappointed with the upgrade. Thermapen is nicer but not noticeably faster and certainly not worth 8x the cost.

ThermoPro TP08 is always connected to monitor smoker temp. If I am only cooking one large item I use the meat thermometer on it as well.

I also have a ThermoPro TP829 I use when I am cooking multiple things at once for its 4 probes.

No, sorry. I am not talking about instant-read thermometers.

I use a Fireboard 2 Drive to monitor cooks/run a fan as well as an Inkbird instant read (IHT-1P) for final temp check/probing for doneness. I've had my Inkbird since late 2019 and it's been rock solid. I think I've had to charge it twice total in that amount of time. When this one dies I very well will get something better but until then this one has not left me stranded. I check 2-3 times a year in boiling water and it's always dead on.

It's hard to beat the fireboard software. https://share.fireboard.io/EFDE51

No, sorry. I am not talking about instant-read thermometers.

In that case my answer is similar.
I'm currently using a cheap probe I bought at the grocery store. It has no wifi and only a single probe.

My plan was to upgrade to one of the premium models used by folks here but after being so disappointed in the Thermapen I'll probably just stick with what I have.

I picked up a Flameboss 500 a month or two back on the cheap. I can say its been really nice to monitor temps remotely when needed. Much easier than my previous Stokers.

I use an Inkbird, which I have found much more reliable than my old Thermpro TPsomethingorother.

I have used a Thermoworks Smoke for a long while before doing away with digital probes. I would still highly recommend that one, or the Smoke x4

I use a Thermoworks BlueDOT. Had a couple of the InkBird ones, but they both died for no apparent reason.

I bought a MEATER plus last year and really like it. I had several of the wireless multi probe thermometers over the years and never found one I liked.

I have a Fireboard and a Meater Block.
I use the Fireboard A LOT more, it always works well.
The Meater, besides some initial pairing issues, seems to work fine but I only use it for rotisserie cooks.

Fireboard 1 for over 3 years now. The display on the unit suddenly crapped out but the unit still works perfectly with all the data visible online or through my phone app. Never used that tiny display anyway. As of yesterday I have a Fireboard 2 Drive unit with it's vastly improved display.

All of my original probes are still working 100% after dozens of cooks.

The best part about Fireboard is their phone app and having all cook data from each cook permanently stored on the cloud for free. I add detailed notes to each cook record to strive to continuously improve my skills.

Fireboard 1 for over 3 years now. The display on the unit suddenly crapped out but the unit still works perfectly with all the data visible online or through my phone app. Never used that tiny display anyway. As of yesterday I have a Fireboard 2 Drive unit with it's vastly improved display.

All of my original probes are still working 100% after dozens of cooks.

The best part about Fireboard is their phone app and having all cook data from each cook permanently stored on the cloud for free. I add detailed notes to each cook record to strive to continuously improve my skills.

I just got my FireBoard 2 Drive on Saturday and used it for an overnight pork butt cook and I am thoroughly impressed at how well it works and how convenient it is to add notes/descriptions etc.

On a ~14hr runtime I used 33% battery which may seem like alot but when they advertise a 30hr runtime I got a great ratio meaning (assuming the same battery depletion rate) I could have ran for ~42.4hrs out of it. Granted that was using it purely as a thermometer and not a fan controller, I would bet the fan controller side takes quite a bit of juice.

I've been using my Smoke x4 (and billows) for a year or two now and really like them.

Originally had the Maverick, and it was nice, but did not offer control.

Had a Flame Boss, but it was junk. Never did have a successful cook with it after going through a few sets of probes.

Started out with a 2 channel Maverick for my gasser, but bought a Fireboard 2 for the extra channels. The Fireboard 2 is hefty and appears to be well made. I made a couple of cooks on the gasser with the Fireboard before I got a Limo Jr gravity fed and added the fan control cable and Fireboard 20cfm fan.

I love the Fireboard - 1 channel for pit temp and control, and 5 for everything else. You absolutely can not have too much data, as long as you realize nothing is perfect, i.e., temps are not perfectly uniform throughout the cooker, meat on the grates affects ambient readings, etc.

Do you need 6 channels of temperature data to make great BBQ? No, but it makes me happy to have it when I smoke, so I do. To each their own - If you just want to occasionally go by your pit and spit on it and judge temps by the spit sizzle sound and that works for you, have at (probably a not a good idea if you chew).

Back