How about a smoked pizza?

mjr

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried smoking a pizza.

If you did, what wood did you use? How long did you smoke it? Did you "pre cook" the dough? What was your process?

Just my $01, but "smoking" a pizza, even at a hot and fast temp of 325-or 350 just isn't going to deliver anywhere near the quality of pizza in comparison with a high heat environment of at least 575 degrees. Any number of cookers can deliver this - a good home oven combined with a quality pizza stone, compact wood or propane cookers like the Uuni, pizzacraft, and even inserts made specifically for gas grills.

That said, the Pizza Kettle insert kit probably best combines wood-fired pizza flavor with convenience and not having to shell out lots of $$$ for a wood fired pizza oven.

In my limited experience,pizza does better at high heat.I have thrown a few leftover slices of Pizza on a smoker to reheat them.They were pretty good.Like I stated,I think you will be more pleased with a high temp initial cook on your pizzas.Good luck! They are pretty cheap to make.You could try a couple and report back to us on how they turned out.Just a thought. :thumb:

I am a big fan of the original Italian "high heat smoking technique" applied to cooking pizza in a wood fired oven.

Others may poo-poo the notion, but I do think there's something to that flavor even in a wood pellet fired UUNI today.

Hope you'll mess around a bit with the notion. As Moose and Hoss mentioned, there are several options for experimentation that I think you might enjoy.

Let us know how things work out - good OR bad. Lord knows I've posted flubs of my own (especially pizza) around here.

Enjoy!

After rereading your original post,I apologize.I did not answer your questions,I just inserted advice.No.I have never tried "smoking" a pizza.A suggestion for a trial would be to buy a grocery store,precooked crust and start experimenting from there.Please try it and let us know your results.May your smoke be thin and blue and Good Smokin! :thumb:

I have not- but I believe the phrase: "If it CAN be smoked, it HAS been smoked" to be true.

If I ever have a similar question, I do a Google search and see how many hits, reviews or videos I get.

Give it a whirl- even "bad" pizza is pretty good. What do you have to lose??

Back