A lesson on UDS

Sammy_Shuford

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have never had my drum above 250 until today. And today I could not get above 300!

Been using a PC fan and a PID controller, I can maintain with 2 of 250.

I had all the vents open (4 3/4 nipples, one with fan) and just reaching 260.

Then I hot me, I am controlling temp with air flow, and limiting air flow with my exhaust. Got my other webber kettle top, removed the vent adjustment, and cut the interior out. Now almost a 4 inch opening.

Temps quickly went over 400. Happy camper again!

Are you up to 600 degrees yet. LOL. Man, that's a lot of exhaust for a drum bro. Let us know how it goes. Happy Thanksgiving!

Wow! The other day with heavy winds and all the vents (intake and exhaust) closed, I couldn't get the temp below 300. Last night I grilled steaks on it with all intakes open and was over 400 w/o any problems.

One these will get your temps up....

FanJetEngineModel.JPG

Hi,

I'm interested in your diy pid!

Do you have your electronics in a enclosure? If so, which one?

I'm slowly putting together a arduino/LCD/thermocouple measurement and
Control system.

My UDS lid is 8 x 1/2" holes evenly spaced on the flat lid.
Works great but not at all weather resistant.

Thanks

It makes a big difference WHERE you are taking a temperature reading. Yesterday, when I was doing a big turkey, I had a drip pan with water under the bird, and the temperature probe is right in the middle, between the bird and drip pan. It read about 250 all day, but if I slid the 12" probe out from in between the bird and pan, it was running 375.

It makes a big difference WHERE you are taking a temperature reading. Yesterday, when I was doing a big turkey, I had a drip pan with water under the bird, and the temperature probe is right in the middle, between the bird and drip pan. It read about 250 all day, but if I slid the 12" probe out from in between the bird and pan, it was running 375.

Yeah, same way w/ a wsm, particularly when full of meat. I really like a good gauge, but use a Maverick, probe hanging just inside the lid vent. I'm working on another uds, and I'll probably be monitoring temps at the lid vent on it as well, a Kingsford kettle lid that fits on my drum nice and snug.

Back