The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Smoked chicken on the Mak.
Asian marinade-
3 tbs avocado oil
1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
3 tbs rice vinegar
3 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs sriracha
1 tbs red chili flakes
.5 tbs garlic salt
1 teaspoon ginger

Smoked for an hour or so at 225 deg
Painted with teriyaki sauce and pan seared for char

It was very smoky and tons of layers of flavor!

Last edited:
For roughly the same price - would you recommend a GMG DC that I have to buy online, or a Pit Boss Tailgater I can just go to the store and buy?

Other than the WIFI - is the DC really better quality? Pitboss claims 5 year warranty vs GMG 3.

I’ve found that a Shop-Vac is a Pellet Grills best friend and it only takes a few minutes to clean up the mess a cook can leave behind.

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

LOL!!!

I just bought a PB 5 series and at high temps(350-375) it sounds like Shop-Vac. But they do go together love brothers!!

Smoked chicken on the Mak.

Asian marinade-

3 tbs avocado oil

1 tablespoon sesame seed oil

3 tbs rice vinegar

3 tbs soy sauce

1 tbs sriracha

1 tbs red chili flakes

.5 tbs garlic salt

1 teaspoon ginger

Smoked for an hour or so at 225 deg

Painted with teriyaki sauce and pan seared for char

It was very smoky and tons of layers of flavor!

Fantastic low carb dinner... love it!

LOL!!!

I just bought a PB 5 series and at high temps(350-375) it sounds like Shop-Vac. But they do go together love brothers!!

lol... I should have said a Shop-vac is a Pellet Grill Owners best friend.. Keep them clean and they’ll keep those pellet grills and Owners happy.

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Just ordered a Fireboard to pair with the 640. Will be starting her up friday or saturday to test out. Gonna be a cold one but i think the Yoder is up for it.

Just ordered a Fireboard to pair with the 640. Will be starting her up friday or saturday to test out. Gonna be a cold one but i think the Yoder is up for it.

Just don't try to match the Fireboard temps with what's on the display :laugh::laugh:

BTW: I'm the guy who made comment about seeing your FB post on some forum :mrgreen:

Just don't try to match the Fireboard temps with what's on the display :laugh::laugh:

BTW: I'm the guy who made comment about seeing your FB post on some forum :mrgreen:

Nope, wont do. Not really concerned with that as long as the meat is doing its thing.

LOL was wondering who it would be. Glad to see Brethren spreading their knowledge across many a'discussion when needed. :)

Low n slow tri tip tonight. Preparing low carb burrito bowls for the family. This never gets old!!! Not only that, but it’s soooooo therapeutic :)
3e08885709e73c70c94aa8980097a4d3.jpg

Just pulled the trigger on a Mak 2 Star! I can’t wait to cook, taste, and share some new pellet cooks on here.

Also, I hope the lift gate delivery driver will help get the pallet up my short, but steep driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m trying to compare smoke flavor between charcoal and pellet since I got the Weber 26. I think the Weber puts better flavor on the meat than the kamado.

With two small chunks of hickory it put a campfire flavor on the meat that was a little too strong for my taste. Maybe 1 chunk next time?

The pellet pits more of a wood flavor on the meat sort of like a stickburner almost.

If the Weber kettle was a little lighter in smoke flavor I’d say I like them equally.

My wife so far likes the pellet smoker the best

Thanks, that answers some questions for me. I have done chicken, and some butts on my Weber, and I can tell zero difference, between it, and my Yoder.

Thanks, that answers some questions for me. I have done chicken, and some butts on my Weber, and I can tell zero difference, between it, and my Yoder.

Any conclusions you’ve come too? My friend is getting a ys640 on a comp cart soon. Also does your Yoder put more of a campfire flavor on the meat or stickburner? My Mak is closer to a stickburner flavor and the kettle is closer to campfire

Last edited:
Any conclusions you’ve come too? My friend is getting a ys640 on a comp cart soon.

I have read so many rave reviews about the Mak, and have no doubt that it is an amazing cooker. But having never tried any food from one, and most people have not tried multiple high end pellet cookers, so it is hard to get a baseline, to compare from. Only conclusion is, that I probably made the right decision for me.

I literally can not tell the difference between food smoked on my weber, and my Yoder. Now when grilling, you get some charcoal flavr, but there really isn't much diffence there either, because on when doing high heat on the Yoder, you get the fat hitting the hot diffuser plate. How were you running your vent on the Weber?

Back