THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jefflouella

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Brethren,

I am in process of getting all my parts to build a double barrel smoker. I am kind of a tech head and think I am going to build it with a PID Temp Controller built in. My question is about setting up an optimal way to get oxygen to the center of the fire. I feel that putting the blower on the side of the barrel will have trouble getting O2 to the far side of the barrel. I could place the blower on the center of the barrel on the backside, but it would blow right into the middle of the fire. I think I came up with an idea and I wanted to write to find out. I couldn’t find the info I was looking for, but I may not be searching with the correct words.

I found this Log Igniter on a website. It is for a propane feed into a fireplace.

al-36ll-36-log-lighter.jpg

I feel if I hooked something like this up to the blower and ran it from side to side, inside the barrel, along the fire, I can control the exact amount of air directly into the fire. Would something like this work? What would be the negatives?

Thanks in advance.

I've done something like it in a "X" configuration for my uds. I've been too busy smoking to give it a test run with my stoker. I was worried about blowing ash but the combined area of the holes is much larger that the 3/4" hole my stoker is normally going through on the drum. ...shouldn't be an issue. Air velocity should actually be lower than it is now (same volume).

Back