Break In Fatty on the BX50!

TC Smoke & Que

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
After doing some much needed clean up, and some touch up painting to my new to me BX 50, I finally fired her up for her first cook!!
Still learning how she rolls, not as easy as my WSM 22, but that was to be expected. When I do get her to temp she holds steady, and burns evenly. She does need to use larger chunks of wood, but again, part of the learning curve.
I threw a six pack of legs on as I was testing a new rub for an up coming comp.
Everything came out good, and this weekend a couple of small butts as practice, still testing out which rub I want to use and get used to her.

Last edited:
If you need a second opinion on those cooks....
It looks like the first run was a success, and I see that you are a front yard cooker :laugh:
You did it the right way, cook enough for 2-3 meals. Nicely done!

If you need a second opinion on those cooks....
It looks like the first run was a success, and I see that you are a front yard cooker :laugh:
You did it the right way, cook enough for 2-3 meals. Nicely done!

Front Yard for the time being. After the comp, I will move to the backyard; I know how it is almost a Brethren No No. :biggrin1:

Rick good looking cook and cooker. The question all the Brethren really wants to know is do you eat white bread with meals after you cook in the front yard?

I refuse to incriminate myself on advice from a White Bread Eating Brethren who shall remain nameless.:laugh:

Looks like you are getting it figured out! Tasty looking vittles! No shame in showing that thing off in the front yard! :wink:

Nice restoration, Rick!

I’ve always liked the style of the BX50.

Good luck in your upcoming competitions.

That thing is a beast. You will love it

I have dreamed about having one (BX 50) sense they came out. I have always liked a water smoker as I started out on an ECB for years; and this one has real estate and as a water smoker. The water system is so simple, but works perfectly. Real nice smoke / air flow. Just got to remember to give my WSM 22 plenty of Love.

One thing I would do when I had a Long Weekender was to put the small chimney of charcoal in the cook chamber after the dirty smoke cleared. It would heat things up a lot faster before I added to lit coals to the fire box.

Hmmmmmmm.... Maybe I should get Bob C Que to do a poll on if I should stay in the front yard, or not. :razz:

Back