Don't get me wrong. Ain't nothing wrong with the PBC. Baby backs today to accelerate the cook because I was behind. :nod:

UyRomrFh.jpg

gt0G9xih.jpg

Sako, the inner sides of your barrel looks just like mine. I assume that means you've never cleaned it. I probably have 1/8" of "seasoning" on mine. My wife thinks it's dirty. I think it's ready!

So when is there going to be a Hunsaker Appreciation Thread? There have been problems with other cookers in this thread.:p

So when is there going to be a Hunsaker Appreciation Thread? There have been problems with other cookers in this thread.:p

I only remember one cooker in this thread who seemed to be a problem, but after he was banned from the thread all is well.

I only remember one cooker in this thread who seemed to be a problem, but after he was banned from the thread all is well.

I've never had a problem with civil non-PBC posts in this thread, but some have. Mostly, I'm referring to those posters who object to UDS's here.

IMHO mentioning you might buy another cooker, or honestly asking about differences in cooker types is vastly different than putting the PBC down and insulting people.

I also imagine Sako will post his Hunsaker cooks in a different thread.

let me make this clear I still love my PBC and don't ever want to be with out one, when this original PBC wears out I will get a new one , I still think the PBC is the best $300 smoker / pit on the market by far..... and if the PBC made a bigger version I would be all over it......

Any of y'all ever have to replace a PBC because of anything other than damage (storms, drops, etc)? Due to its simplicity it seems like rust or damage could be the only things that might cause it to underperform from a hardware standpoint. I just got to thinking after I had to rework a lid I dropped.

Any of y'all ever have to replace a PBC because of anything other than damage (storms, drops, etc)? Due to its simplicity it seems like rust or damage could be the only things that might cause it to underperform from a hardware standpoint. I just got to thinking after I had to rework a lid I dropped.

When I had the original version (without the porcelain coating) it started to develop rust spots and flaking paint. I called Noah and sent him some pics at his request. He said that they had a couple of batches that had some issues and offered to replace the barrel or send me some accessories and rubs. I opted to have it replaced. It's still works great for my son in law who I gave it to after I got the porcelain model.

Has anyone ever thought of using magnets to hang a second rack like Earth magnets or neodymium? I'm not sure their reaction to heat or if safe to cook with but wanted to open up the brain trust to see what you all thought.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Not to cause any trouble but I seem to have missed this whole thing so cut me some slack, ok ? So what is a pbs and the differance from a uds ? The posts I have read have not made it clear to me. Thanks,

UDS is a homemade smoker using a 55 gallon barrel, with multiple adjustable air intakes, and an adjustable exhaust designed to control temps. Most UDS are made with two racks and some with a diverter. They are also Ugly as the first word in their name suggests.

A PBC is a professionally manufactured 30 gallon barrel, with one air intake that has a minor adjustment available, and no adjustable exhaust. It is intended to run at a specific temp and not to be adjusted during a cook. It is also designed with one rack but primarily to hang meat instead of using the grate. There is no diverter and it is not ugly.

Has anyone ever thought of using magnets to hang a second rack like Earth magnets or neodymium? I'm not sure their reaction to heat or if safe to cook with but wanted to open up the brain trust to see what you all thought.

I use stainless steel 5" hook and eye turnbuckles. Amazon has a set of five for about $5.
(Only need three, of course) Couldn't be any easier.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJ67MKI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: BQLZR M4 Stainless Steel 304 Hook & Eye Turnbuckle Wire Rope Tension Pack Of 5: Home Improvement[/ame]

Welp,

Change of plans. After hitting the road yesterday early AM and driving for about 1/2 hour I realized the fuel cost alone was going to drive up the cost crazy plus my time. If I stayed up north for at least a day it would've been worth it but don't have the time to. I let the brethren know immediately and apologized because I felt bad since I was so determined to get his. :oops:

Early this AM I spoke with Mark Hunsaker and I've got a black Hunsaker Drum with two HD racks, thermo holder and a hanging rack coming my way. :-D

You'll still see me on this thread though. No, not the cooks on the new Hunsaker but related to the PBC. :nod: Gotta say the 4+ year cooking/playing with the PBC was a major motivator of today's purchase. I went through a bunch cookers and cooking styles but drum cooking has stuck with me as majority of my cooks are done on the drum. Obviously I plan to continue to do so. :thumb:

Now, who wants a well seasoned, Made in USA PBC that's for sale?

Gnolydnar,

In response to your post on the inner seasoning, I've never cleaned it. :thumb: That's just like stripping the seasoning of a well seasoned cast iron pan. :becky:

My painted PBC had some rust bubbles on the lid but pretty sure would've still lasted me years and years. My enameled PBC has been bulletproof and I mean that literally. I use the heck out of it and still looks brand new. :thumb:

Welp,

Change of plans. After hitting the road yesterday early AM and driving for about 1/2 hour I realized the fuel cost alone was going to drive up the cost crazy plus my time. If I stayed up north for at least a day it would've been worth it but don't have the time to. I let the brethren know immediately and apologized because I felt bad since I was so determined to get his. :oops:

Early this AM I spoke with Mark Hunsaker and I've got a black Hunsaker Drum with two HD racks, thermo holder and a hanging rack coming my way. :-D

Damn...does that mean no stlsportster appreciation thread???

:mad:

So basically there has been a shift from plain old barrel cookers which has always included 55, 30, 16 gal barrels to specific nomenclature and specific use. Don't remember the name but this weekend I saw a fancy tall 15 gal manufactured barrel that had all sorts of options. Kind of like a child from a uds and pbc.
I haven't kept up with the whole barrel thing for quite some time. But around here you saw pbc cookers rather often with some uds mods thrown in. I haveca 16 gal barrel that I still plan on using as both. The chsrcoal part will be a weber sj. Grates and hangers will be included.
wonder what that should be labled.

UDS is a homemade smoker using a 55 gallon barrel, with multiple adjustable air intakes, and an adjustable exhaust designed to control temps. Most UDS are made with two racks and some with a diverter. They are also Ugly as the first word in their name suggests.

A PBC is a professionally manufactured 30 gallon barrel, with one air intake that has a minor adjustment available, and no adjustable exhaust. It is intended to run at a specific temp and not to be adjusted during a cook. It is also designed with one rack but primarily to hang meat instead of using the grate. There is no diverter and it is not ugly.

So basically there has been a shift from plain old barrel cookers which has always included 55, 30, 16 gal barrels to specific nomenclature and specific use. Don't remember the name but this weekend I saw a fancy tall 15 gal manufactured barrel that had all sorts of options. Kind of like a child from a uds and pbc.
I haven't kept up with the whole barrel thing for quite some time. But around here you saw pbc cookers rather often with some uds mods thrown in. I haveca 16 gal barrel that I still plan on using as both. The chsrcoal part will be a weber sj. Grates and hangers will be included.
wonder what that should be labled.

The 15 gal tall ones are the barrel house cookers. Long story but they were a vacuum tank manufacturing co and were supposed to supply/manufacture PBC's to keep up demand. Instead they overbid Noah on purpose on the last minute and ran off with Noah's confidential business plans and started manufacturing the BHC's. Lawsuit naturally but don't know the outcome if it's still ongoing.

Back