WTF are they thinking

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Perusing multiple other cooking sights looking at failure and success photos. Folks are shocked that they had a dinner ruining grease fire. People are surprised when they awaken to a 40 degree Cooker that they set on 225. People’s sad that they forgot to set out their turkey to thaw and what to do with a 17# poultry boulder. I don’t post on those sites however the banter of “well you need to, you ought to, You should’ve” is quite entertaining.
And “why doesn’t my pellet cooker give the meat as a good a smoke flavor as my xyz smoker.

BTW- “is this safe to eat”

WTF are they thinking??? In a nut shell....They weren't Thinking. :tsk::tsk:

Love those sites.
It's always been said of me that I give the best advice, I never follow....I prefer ta see that as one of many back handed compliments I've earned over the years...it's all about perception.

-D

Thanksgiving only happens once a year so folks have more than enough time to prepare. Of all days to let the guard down when cooking, Thanksgiving isn't the day. Let's hope total failure makes their next Thanksgiving better. At least they will have entertaining fiasco stories to tell for years.

On the frozen turkey thing, thats not even much of a problem anymore.

If I ever not smoke a turkey for T-Day, I might try the frozen straight into the oven method as I have friends that swear by it and vow never to defrost again.

A search brought up hundreds of recipes and walk throughs. This was the first:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/cook-a-frozen-turkey-483280

Definitely more than one way to skin a cat on this one. 2 guys in my cigar group got thrown the "btw, you're cooking thanksigving" yesterday morning. 1 was due to the host's child having a high fever. The next was traveling and I guess that host 'assumed' they would be the ones to deal with the bird.

I think the shocking/annoying part were the email from the BBQ rub places that try to get you to use their seasoning on the birds...but do it so late you don't have time to thaw or order! Saying "this is the day to get the bird thawing" on Tuesday, kinda missed the boat.

I saw on the news last night that multiple people had their thanksgiving ruined because employees didn’t show up to the Boston Market that they had ordered their turkeys from…

I love the”Hey y’all,need advice.I bought a new smoker and am going to cook something I have never tried to cook before on a smoker that I have never lit before.How do I make it perfect? Got 20 people coming over and it has to be the best they ever tasted!” SMH!:tsk::tsk::tsk:

I love the”Hey y’all,need advice.I bought a new smoker and am going to cook something I have never tried to cook before on a smoker that I have never lit before.How do I make it perfect? Got 20 people coming over and it has to be the best they ever tasted!” SMH!:tsk::tsk::tsk:

I like the attitude though. I've always said if you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly.

I have one of these threads going on right now …. LOL. I’m good though, veteran cooker here and have a couple backups. This site has been a God sent for me learning the ropes even at such an older age. Failure, learn and don’t repeat.

My worst failure, newly married, was making a huge batch of mashed potatoes and putting in butter with condensed milk. But I didn’t read the label, it was sweetened condensed milk… nuff said, candy potatoes.

I have one of these threads going on right now …. LOL. I’m good though, veteran cooker here and have a couple backups. This site has been a God sent for me learning the ropes even at such an older age. Failure, learn and don’t repeat.

My worst failure, newly married, was making a huge batch of mashed potatoes and putting in butter with condensed milk. But I didn’t read the label, it was sweetened condensed milk… nuff said, candy potatoes.

That’s awesome. They WILL remember your name. I would think We’ve all done something similar-or worse. I just think there is untapped comic genius across the Internet. The comments, some are hateful and mean but oftentimes they are top shelf comedy

So what did you do with the sweet taters? I’d of made 50/50 milk shakes and stretch that gallon of Bluebell

As said above, they weren't thinking. Here's a good (and sadly true) one:

My SIL reported that at her family's Thanksgiving they had a couple of struggles: the 16Adams's 17 pound bolder and a group of already cooked pies stored in the oven got re-cooked. It's funny and sad all at the same time. Still waiting for details on how they recovered. That might be a post all to itself...

Thanksgiving Day is not the time to try to learn how to cook a turkey.

This. Every year I cook a practice turkey on the weekend before Thanksgiving. Then I cook two on Thanksgiving day. I even write out my schedule for the day so I don't forget anything.

Turkey's can be tricky even for an experienced cook, much less someone who only cooks once a year.

I had a grease fire on Thanksgiving morning. My first ever, too. Was at my sister’s house using her Weber gasser to roast Brussels sprouts in cookie sheets. The grates looked real clean but I never checked the grease catch pan. After the fire was out I found about an inch of grease on the catch pan. But my sister blamed me for the fire.

Thanksgiving Day is not the time to try to learn how to cook a turkey.

Sure it is. The redemption cook will be cheaper since turkeys are cheaper after thanksgiving. If you’re big on holidays, thanksgiving might be ruined though. I’ve never been big on holidays, so anytime someone wants to learn to cook is a good time.

Back