I present...my new grill!

TxQGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Lately, my back has been hurting after bending down for extended periods of time to tend the grill. My Old Smokey has the factory standard short legs and therefore sits low to the ground, which is my ONLY complaint about it. So the other day, I went and bought the replacement longer legs for it. I figured it would be no sweat to swap them out, as it only involves six bolts and six nuts, which can be hand tightened. I failed to take into account what several years of grease and rust can do to nuts and bolts. What followed involved plenty of aggravation, cursing, a pair of bolt cutters, and some WD-40. I zigged when I should have zagged, and used Dad-rage and brute strength when patience and finesse failed. :rolleyes:

Long story short, I ended up severely damaging my existing pit, as the metal is pretty thin. I was about to do some retro-fitting involving washers and drilling new holes but then I said to myself "Self, this pit has given you YEARS of service, and countless ribs, chickens, burgers, hot dogs, and wings. They are 70 bucks, dude. I know that you aren't in the habit of wasting money or throwing hard-earned pay away...but I give you permission to go spend 70 bucks on another one instead of involving power tools. It's ok. Academy is open right now and I know they have one on the shelf."

So I did. And now I have a brand new Old Smokey WITH the long legs. She is ready for many many years of cook sessions, and my back will no longer hurt. Look at her, Brethren! :biggrin1::clap2:

She looks small in that picture for some reason, I think it's the long legs. But it is the same 22" Jumbo model that I had before.

QefT0ILh.jpg

I have never made a fatty before. It is ON, y'all! Next cook I do, gonna try one.

Just a log of Jimmy Dean with some rub on the outside, right?
Yes just use a Rub with low to no salt, you'll thank me later or you can just put the chub on without Rub, your call. Got a new cooker coming, some Jimmy Dean and a Butt ready to break her in right.

Yep! Fire her up and let's get to christening her right.

Well?

Are you cookin’ yet?

Not just yet, but hoping for a Sunday cook!

Y'all...how long do you figure a fatty would take assuming indirect on a 2-zone lump/mesquite fire? I'm thinking maybe an hour and a half? Trying to budget for time.

Forgot to add...this new pit is officially named Long Tall Sally. :-D

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new lady in your life!!! :clap2:
Time to break her in and a neked Fatty does the job. About 3 hrs @ 225 should do it, finish about 165 - 168.
Looking forward to the pics of the first cook!!!

I hope you have many more years of delicious adventures with the new rig!

Get her dirty!

Yes just use a Rub with low to no salt, you'll thank me later or you can just put the chub on without Rub, your call. Got a new cooker coming, some Jimmy Dean and a Butt ready to break her in right.

Yeah wished I would have thought of the rub on my first smoke. But I was brand new to the smoking scene. Can't begin to talk about how much this forum has helped me!

Enjoy your cooker. Old Smokey’s don’t get the credit they deserve.

Last edited:
Back