Choosing my first offset smoker

keodark

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi all,

I've been doing some heavy research before buying my first real backyard cooker. I know I don't have the skills or tools to weld one, and I know I want an offset stick burner. I've read conflicting things about RF versus tuning plates (versus direct flow). Hoping for some opinions on the issue, as it pertains to a SMALL backyard cooker (36" - 40") such as the baseline Lang or Horizon. My budget is between $1200 and $1500.

First, I wonder if tuning plates (which must be close together near the firebox to prevent hot spots there) might cause food on the firebox end to receive less smoke? Also, along the grate there is relatively little open surface area until you get near the colder (stack) end... it seems to me like most of the smoke would exit the cooker without touching meat?

Second, I was inspired by Aaron Franklin and in his book he recommends direct-flow smokers, but he's not really talking about small backyard cookers. Still, he says Reverse Flow restricts airflow and makes it difficult to maintain proper (strong) convection. For that matter, he's against tuning plates for the same reasons.

Third, the website for Lone Star Grillz (FAQ) says (paraphrased): We prefer tuning plates to RF because RF requires a much larger fire and it's harder to maintain a good draw which can result in inferior smoke. Personally, I've seen that sentiment echoed on forums, with concerns about keeping the firebox in an RF at the right temperature without overheating it.

As a related question, I'm wondering what the recommended "first step" is for a newbie to learn offset stick burning. I've read plenty of stories about frustrated newcomers giving up after using a cheap (thin walled) offset smoker, so I'd like to avoid that. Is there another way to find out if I have the patience required (and to practice) before investing in a Lang? Perhaps something no-weld that I can try to build first? I don't think I'm interested in a UDS because it's direct heat.

Thanks for any opinions!

Ken is right in your area with Kats... And people who knock reverse flows are misinformed... I build them everyday... They are excellent smokers and i will put them up beside a smoker with tuning plates all day long...Kats had a website.. Ken is a great guy... Honest as the day is long... Check him out..

Hi Keodark. I started the exact process you just have after his book as well. I had been using a big green egg for two years and wanted to take the next step. A lot of what he says in his book is based on what works best form him. after about a month of research I ordered a Shirley which gets here next month. I read countless reviews and watched many videos. Just watch a video where you can see smoke pulling super hard out of the stack and you will see there is plenty of draw on a rf. Plus there are tons of experienced smokers in here that use Rf smokers. just take your time and get what's going to work best for you. Good luck and enjoy the process

Last edited:
Shipping a cooker is a royal pain in the butt. I would go with a KAT smoker since they are close to you. You'll save a ton of money on shipping that way. TuscaloosaQ definitely knows what he is talking about. I was going back and forth with his son Tyler about building a small backyard pit and they were really accommodating. Just all around great people to work with.

In the end I located an 80 gallon tank and I'm going to build my own (in progress). If I was ever going to have someone else build me an offset I would get a shirley, I would also love to have an assassin grill, 270 smokers standard... The list goes on... Even though I'm building my own Tyler told me to give him a call if I have any questions while I'm building my cooker.

Just make sure you get a smoker that is at least 1/4" thick. Reverse flows smokers work good,I have owned both types of smokers and my current is a RF.
Also Craig's List sometimes has some finds.

I prefer Verticals. Living in CA. 3/16" would be fine. Save weight and $ and still have a BadAzz long lasting pit. I'd have Kat build me a vertical.

What are you used to Smoking/Cooking on? A fair number of fellars read a BBQ book run out and buy an $ offset smoker and then Hate it.

Thanks for the advice, all!

@SmittyJonz, I've always wanted to smoke but only just recently have a spot in my tiny California back yard for a cooker. I've smoked a few things in the past with cobbled-together boxes with direct-heat and wood chips, but that hardly counts. I do have a history of choosing the long-and-convoluted way to cook things, so I think I'm up for the challenge of 16-hour cooks. I just have a yearning to eat proper brisket again (there are no good bbq places near me), even if it takes a lot of time and money.

That said, you have a good point. Is there a better "stepping stone" I should take before committing to a $1500 (+shipping) cooker, that will let me learn offset stick-burning without quite as much cash? Welding it myself isn't going to be an option...

Thanks again!

Also Craig's List sometimes has some finds.

There's actually a Lang Patio 36", used, on CL, about 250 miles from me right now, for $900. It looks to be in decent shape, although it looks like an older model that doesn't have the slide-out upper grate. Still, I'm stumped on how to move the thing 250 miles. A box-truck would cost $500 in gas and mileage, hiring residential freight would be even more. I could borrow a pickup, but even with a rental loading ramp I'm not sure two guys could load and unload a 600-pound smoker into a pickup... I don't know anyone with a trailer, either...

Do you have an Academy near you? They have some offsets in the $500 range that you can try and probably get half your money back if you need to sell it. Half of $500 is better than half of $1,500.

And ugly drum smoker or UDS is probably the single best starter smoker there is .?you could build one for $150 or you can buy one for $500 . And you can do a right proper brisket on the UDS

I would give Ken at Kat a call and talk to him, tell him your experience and your desires and he will help you with some great advice. He build some great cookers but he is honest as the day is long and wouldn't want you in a cooker that is not right. He knows his cookers and not just RF cookers. Good Luck and keep us posted. :thumb:

I built a RF offset and love cooking on it. But if space is at a premium a vertical has a much smaller footprint, easier to move around and will provide the same results.

You also need to consider fuel. If you are burning sticks you need a source and a spot to keep around a half cord.

Don't discount UDS or WSM type cookers either. I have my RF and a kettle and sometimes wish I had a WSM too.

As for fire management, it's much easier on a properly designed pit. My firebox and RF plate are 1/4" and the cook chamber is about 3/8". I start with a chiminey of charcoal and throw sticks from there. Occasionally I will have a coal bed issue but a half chimney or so of charcoal can fix it right up. Or I will throw a couple extra sticks and try and hold temps down.

I cook around 275 +/- 50 degrees. I learned not to stress about temps too much when I cooked hung over and my fire went out 3x during the cook. Food turned out great.

A vac sealer and a freezer will be your next purchase. My RF is built from an 86 gallon well pressure tank so it's not huge, but if I'm gonna spend the fuel and effort to run it I usually load up a bit. So if I want brisket, I will usually cook a butt along with. The butt will get pulled and packed up that night and whatever is left from the brisket after a day or 2 will get packed as well.

All that being said get a WSM.

There's actually a Lang Patio 36", used, on CL, about 250 miles from me right now, for $900. It looks to be in decent shape, although it looks like an older model that doesn't have the slide-out upper grate. Still, I'm stumped on how to move the thing 250 miles. A box-truck would cost $500 in gas and mileage, hiring residential freight would be even more. I could borrow a pickup, but even with a rental loading ramp I'm not sure two guys could load and unload a 600-pound smoker into a pickup... I don't know anyone with a trailer, either...
Rent a 5x9 utility trailer w ramp gate from uhaul. $24.95 for a day.

As a person who has cooked on both traditional and reverse flow cookers, I am of the belief you can get a great product off of any well built offset. Fact is, once you get good, you can get a good product off of anything that will hold fire. I understand what some folks say about not using tuning plates but, in a small traditional offset, if you don't have tuning plates, you end up with only being able to use a portion of your real estate on the grates, or planning your cooks so that you can use the grate and widely varying temperatures.

The idea that reverse flow cookers impede proper convection is a 'logic' argument that has been proven to be incorrect. However, it is important that you get a well engineered RF cooker, and that it is leveled properly.

In all cases, offsets require active fire management and fairly constant attention, they are a great way to learn to cook, as they do require that learning curve. I absolutely love the cookers that Shirley Fab makes, and for reasons I won't go in to, I am pretty loyal to Paul. However those KAT BBQ units look pretty danged nice, and he is close.

Thanks again, all.

I'm pretty sure I want to stick with an offset, not an egg/uds/wsm because I want to learn to do all-wood fire (except a chimney of charcoal to start), and I just like the idea of indirect cooking.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? http://www.instructables.com/id/The-No-Weld-Double-Barrel-Smoker-and-how-to-use-i/step2/The-Plan/

Seems like that could be an inexpensive and no-weld way to learn RF offset stick burning that would last me a few years until I can upgrade to a Lang or KAT...

Back