Seasoning the New Grill

R3V07U10N

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey all, I finally got my new combo gas/charcoal grill setup over the weekend and I’m looking for a definitive (or at least, more reliable) method for seasoning the cast-iron grates. From most of what I’ve heard, the standard method seems to be coating with vegetable oil and cooking them for a couple hours, with some variation here or there (ie solid fat, more or less time, etc…). Does anybody have a good walkthrough for breaking it in?

I’m more concerned about the charcoal side, since I’m relatively inexperienced with charcoal grilling. The gas side will be much easier for me to keep a constant temp. Also, though it may be difficult to answer, should I cook the grates together, or separate on the gas and charcoal sides? Thanks for your help!

to season mine I sprayed them with a coat of cooking spray, lit a full chimney of charcoal, poured it in and let her rip until the coals went out. then I now just clean the grates before a cook and wipe a little oil on them with a towel before tossing on the food.

Back