Biscuits

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I needed Buttermilk for some recent recipe, what to do with the remainder? Either pancakes or biscuits and since the Mrs asked for biscuits yesterday for a dish she was preparing, biscuits won out. Sorry, these are done in the oven not out on any of the grills. :cry:

I broke out my "tried and true" biscuit recipe from many years ago and made biscuits yesterday. Small (since I used my medium cutter), very sad looking biscuits as they were extremely flat. They tasted okay and were flaky but their appearance left a lot to be desired.

Yeah, I shouldn't even post these, but one has to learn from one's mistakes. I set out to determine what the heck I've been doing wrong and quickly realized the recipe I've been using doesn't call for baking soda, only baking powder. All other ingredients were pretty much the same as far as quantities. I printed out a good half dozen buttermilk biscuit recipes.

The other problem is I've been overworking the dough and using a rolling pin. So, back to the kitchen this morning with a different recipe, the rest of the buttermilk, make sure everything is cold (which I've been doing) and a desire to bake a better biscuit.

Fold in thirds by hand like a letter three times, don't overwork the dough, don't twist the cutter. The only thing I forgot to do which some recipes suggest is to press down the center of each biscuit so they rise straight up. Next time, more research. :razz: And I brushed them lightly with melted butter instead of buttermilk. Just because.

The results, with a larger cutter to make some good sized biscuits -

Comparison with yesterday's biscuits. Or to paraphrase Crocodile Dundee, "That's not a biscuit, THIS is a biscuit!"

Of course, I had to plate some up and taste them for research.

Quite good! Very flaky, nice consistency. And they're a reasonable height. :grin:

That's all the research I can muster for today. I definitely need to get some exercise in after all this research. I think I've solved my puny biscuit problems, my tried and true recipe has been tossed for a new one (with help from a 1/4 tsp baking soda).

Thanks for checking out this post. My biscuits may not be up to Southern standards, but the results are definitely improving.

Regards,
-lunchman

Been there done that, I hate puny pucks. I always feel like I should have made a double batch so I can leave it thicker before cutting.
Another problem check, look at how old your Baking powder and soda are, it doesn't take long to become useless.
Ed

Biscuits look great!

FYI! I wanted to make a buttermilk batter for fried chicken and thought I'd have the same problem of "what to do with the rest" and stumbled on Buttermilk Powder. It worked great and I also made biscuits last week using Alton Brown's recipe and they came out great. I need to cut the heat down a little since my oven cooks a little hot but these were nice and fluffy. Give it a try next time you need buttermilk, you'll be surprised and it won't go bad waiting to get used up.

100-4130.jpg

100-4131.jpg

Yours look quite good!

Yep. have used Buttermilk powder in the past, usually keep it in the fridge. I'll need to get some more for the occasional time I need it for a recipe.

I swear this is my weakness. I rarely make good biscuits.
:sad:

I swear this is my weakness. I rarely make good biscuits.
:sad:

Try the recipe I posted, I went from hockey pucks to good biscuits and I've tried all kinds of recipes before this one.

One question for those who make biscuits.
Why are biscuit cutters round?
Any harm in cutting them square so as not to waste dough?

I'm guessing but they probably started round from using a glass or jar waay back when before cutters came out.

And yes you can make square biscuits, a few restaurants around here serve them that way.

I thought buttermilk had a pretty good shelf life in the fridge? But some of non-baking uses are soaking cuts of wild game and fish fillets for a few minutes to reduce gaminess.

I love biscuits but rarely make them since I can't control myself and usually end up eating them ALL. BTW I would be willing to take any leftovers from either of your batches.

I like to make biscuits from scratch every now and then. I do find that just using standard Pioneer biscuit mix with buttermilk instead of normal milk still makes a good biscuit. I recent picked up a cast iron biscuit pan from Lodge so I can even skip the step of rolling out and cutting the dough: just drop them in the pan and get perfectly round biscuits.

You can make your own buttermilk as needed, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar per cup of milk. Stir let set 15 mins. Bobs your Uncle.
Ed

How ‘bout using the remaining buttermilk for cast iron cornbread? First at supper then with some sweet milk while watching tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Those look good. I wish I could make good biscuits. I'm sorry, I confess, we eat Mary B's frozen in the bag biscuits:sad:

Ya'll come over, they're still warm!!

All this biscuit talk had me craving some, it's your fault Lunchman!!
These are not your average size biscuit, I could only eat one with that omelet. The recipe says it makes 12 2" biscuits but not today.
100-4173.jpg

100-4174.jpg

100-4176.jpg

100-4177.jpg

Ya'll come over, they're still warm!!

All this biscuit talk had me craving some, it's your fault Lunchman!!
These are not your average size biscuit, I could only eat one with that omelet. The recipe says it makes 12 2" biscuits but not today.
100-4173.jpg

100-4174.jpg

100-4176.jpg

100-4177.jpg

Cat-head Biscuits!

Grammaw used lard in her biscuits and made a batch everyday! Oh and buttermilk, too.

Last edited:
Back