MAK Grills talk/pics/thoughts/reviews and appreciation thread

True that! lol
I'm not worried since i can't afford either. Figured after 3 years this would have been perfect time for the announcement.

Perhaps we can talk MAK Grills into a Mini MAK Brethren group buy when the time comes. No harm in trying! Would love to see you join the MAK family :)

Thanks, that's something I can try tomorrow or Sunday, certainly have to wait till after this cook. Right now the thermometer is in the corner. That's where it was when I got it. Where is yours? have you moved it around?
Never moved mine. Seems fine in the corner.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

When doing a brisket on the Mak 1 Star without Flamezone, what do
you think; upper grate or lower grate? By the way, my Flamezone comes in Monday!

you think; upper grate or lower grate? By the way, my Flamezone comes in Monday!
I would still cook it on the upper grate, I like to put a baking sheet pan on the bottom grate to catch the grease/drippings, makes cleanup easier and I rarely have to clean out the grease drawer.

If only doing 1, I always use the upper grate. 2, and I use both grates. Nothing at all wrong with the main grate as I have used it many times for low n slow cooks. But given the option, I will always have the protein as far away from the radiant heat of the drip pan for low n slow cooks as it’s a bit more gentle a heat. Plus, IMO the smoke lingers a bit longer at the top of the cooking chamber before exiting. Just my opinions :)

Not to mention the ease of using a drip pan when cooking on the upper grate.

Picked up 2.5 pounds of steelhead at Costco this week.

Just finished dry brining and off to the fridge to dry overnight. On the MAK in the morning.

kGjOcpu.jpg

How bout sharing your brine Grant!

That looks awesome!

I’m trying something new so I’m not sure how it will turn out.

I made a brine of 1.75 cup of Diamond Crystal kosher salt and 1.75 cup of dark brown sugar.

Dredged the fish in the brine, put fish in a 13 x 9 pan, and covered with the remaining brine. Refrigerated for 35 minutes. Then rinsed well, patted dry, and put on the rack.

I’ll put a rub on it in the morning that will consist mainly of fresh ground black pepper and probably a bit of garlic powder and maybe a finely ground bay leaf or two. I may also do some of the fish with chipotle powder. Maybe one with Oakridge HDD.

If the dry brine worked, I’ll use it in the future and add some flavoring to the salt and sugar.

Attempted some pulled chuckies myself. Cooked up a 4lber yesterday. Didn't cook as long as I wanted to before wrapping but I had to head out for a couple hours. Before on the pbc I wrapped it around 160 ish but this cook was a bit early at 130. In the end I let it go on the smoke setting for a bit longer. Turned out ok in my book.. had one with some Colby jack cheese and the other with swiss and some homemade pickles.
05adec3ad7bbd893f5e1700a4adaffd2.jpg
cf4f474f0dffb41d73e29993737cd985.jpg
154ffcf9d1eb699bc2de47728f255743.jpg
31f2abb5c50b9173f577a76ddc048b53.jpg
ebe43c97696201126b30c489cfd52dfb.jpg
f016288563289d5bebe26668abc9c6ea.jpg
4f066718dfc468f7220c83c8a145abe5.jpg
f88fb1bac90ce73ba50feef5f1baaf5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Attempted some pulled chuckies myself. Cooked up a 4lber yesterday. Didn't cook as long as I wanted to before wrapping but I had to head out for a couple hours. Before on the pbc I wrapped it around 160 ish but this cook was a bit early at 130. In the end I let it go on the smoke setting for a bit longer. Turned out ok in my book.. had one with some Colby jack cheese and the other with swiss and some homemade pickles.
05adec3ad7bbd893f5e1700a4adaffd2.jpg
cf4f474f0dffb41d73e29993737cd985.jpg
154ffcf9d1eb699bc2de47728f255743.jpg
31f2abb5c50b9173f577a76ddc048b53.jpg
ebe43c97696201126b30c489cfd52dfb.jpg
f016288563289d5bebe26668abc9c6ea.jpg
4f066718dfc468f7220c83c8a145abe5.jpg
f88fb1bac90ce73ba50feef5f1baaf5d.jpg

Pics look great! What made it just “ok” in your opinion?

Pics look great! What made it just “ok” in your opinion?
I'm my worst critic,that being said I didn't necessarily mean "ok" as bad. I guess given the circumstances of how I adapted the cook from what I had planned,it turned out pretty good.
Next time I will cook a little longer to my desired temp(for a little more smoke profile and better crust), I'd probably also take a little liquid out before adding the shredded meat back to the pan. Next on the list would be a better bun, with a better attempt of toasting the bun.
I didn't share a pic of my sandwhich the next day. Used Dave's killer bread, toasted in a skillet with butter. Added some swiss, the chuckie and some pickle on top and it was on point.

Edit: also would add jalapeno to it. Left them out for the rest of the fam.

Last edited:
I'm my worst critic,that being said I didn't necessarily mean "ok" as bad. I guess given the circumstances of how I adapted the cook from what I had planned,it turned out pretty good.
Next time I will cook a little longer to my desired temp(for a little more smoke profile and better crust), I'd probably also take a little liquid out before adding the shredded meat back to the pan. Next on the list would be a better bun, with a better attempt of toasting the bun.
I didn't share a pic of my sandwhich the next day. Used Dave's killer bread, toasted in a skillet with butter. Added some swiss, the chuckie and some pickle on top and it was on point.

Edit: also would add jalapeno to it. Left them out for the rest of the fam.

Now that makes perfect sense! Totally hear ya about being our own worse critic!! Why we gotta be like that?!?! [emoji37]

Time to pull the front left and the front right. Left is straight chipotle chile and the right is Oakridge Habanero Death Dust.

We snacked and the unanimous preference was the HDD.

A5bYsQS.jpg

Time to pull the front left and the front right. Left is straight chipotle chile and the right is Oakridge Habanero Death Dust.

We snacked and the unanimous preference was the HDD.

A5bYsQS.jpg

Love salmon. Haven’t tried it on the MAK yet. What temp did you use? Anything you’d change? I have some HDD. I like OlBay too. Skin on or off? Thanks

Love salmon. Haven’t tried it on the MAK yet. What temp did you use? Anything you’d change? I have some HDD. I like OlBay too. Skin on or off? Thanks

Steelhead. :wink:

Using Smoke setting and pulling at 130* IT. Skin on.

The larger two pieces are coated with black pepper, some garlic powder, and some bay leaves that were whizzed in the spice grinder. I’m interested to see how that mix turns out.

Steelhead. :wink:

Using Smoke setting and pulling at 130* IT. Skin on.

The larger two pieces are coated with black pepper, some garlic powder, and some bay leaves that were whizzed in the spice grinder. I’m interested to see how that mix turns out.

Thanks. Used to do a little fishing on PM up in Baldwin not too far from you! Miss it.

Back