To cover or not to cover

EricD

is Blowin Smoke!
That is the question. Tis nobler in the mind to cover thy grills daily or to take chance with wrath of mother nature?

Depends on what your definition of “grill” is...

Weber’s sit outside neked all the time, the pellet grill lives inside the shop unless she’s cookin’.

Mine is under roof, however does get wind driven rain and occasionally snow.

I used to cover my LSG cabinet after every cook. I stopped covering it the third time I had to clean mold out of it. That was over a year ago and the cabinet shows no signs of weather yet. If it starts to show signs of weather I will just re-paint it. I cover my gasser and Webers but they get much more regular use. My new stick burner is in the garage when not in use so no cover on it. Eventually the offset will stay outside and I might cover it with a tarp or not.

Once spring hits I'll always have a weber kettle right off the deck uncovered. When winter comes I keep it in the garage with the smokers so I can shovel a little spot, pull it out and go to work. I don't cover my smoker but keep in garage

I follow 38 Special lyrics of Hold On Loosely. Google the lyrics. That’s how you cover a cooker.

For the most part mine are loosely covered. But often times depending on the color of sky they’re not covered days/weeks at a time. Current line up is ceramic and steel so normal weather is not going to effect mechanics. However, I live in a windy brown sky part of the world. Morning humidity and settling brown skies can make them ugly quickly. So I usually cover, loosely with vents open

Smokers stay in the garage. The Weber Kettle- it just laughs at mother nature and will for the foreseeable future.

Meh.... Covers are a PITA. I had one on my first offset pit but nothing since. The only real issue I have with my LSG is the counterweight apparently did not get the "three coats of high heat paint" as advertised. A touch-up spray can will remedy that.

My cookers have always been covered when not in use. Might go without a few days after a cook though.
I got into a conversation the other day with a buddy, he doesn't cover because "the airflow is super restricted, so any moisture that will get in has no chance to dry and turns to mold".
Neither of us have any scientific proof that either option is better, just thought I'd get a consensus from the brilliant minds here.
I think I'm gonna change my ways and only cover in the winter and storms. (except the griddle, that's stying covered)

Depends on the weather. :loco:

My big gasser sets out in the rain at times, but it is all Stainless Steel.
My smokers are usually covered, but with Aftermarket, looser covers. (Don't want to trap the spiders)

Now that the rainy season is over and the Sun is shining, it's Topless Season in the privacy of the back yard. :icon_smile_tongue:

I babied my cabinet the first couple of months I had it. Ran outside to wipe it down after it rained. Then it rained for two weeks straight. The equivalent of the first scratch on the car. Now I just cover the stack so the inside won't rust out.

Back