Wicked Edge Knife Sharpener...WOW!

It is fun and I'm just in the learning stages. I've read that some get frustrated right off the bat and abandon the whole thing. What a shame. Like I said, if I can do it, anyone can.
I go from 1500, to 9, then 3 micron diamond films. When I can afford it, I'd like to get 15, 1 and .5 micron films and platters. I still do think that a final strop puts that hair splitting edge on it.

Mr Negativity here.
I guess that since I've lived my 68+ years without one I'll try to go for a few more and see if I survive with only the cheap Lansky.
But I also spent 30 years in the Navy and never got a tattoo either!
Guess I'm just a loner who can't/won't change.

I won't disagree with what the strops can do for you. I negate that anyway by leaving a toothy edge, or polishing & going back with a micro bevel that is more toothy than the polish I put it over. About the only thing I put a final polish on would be my Japanese steel...and for that I pull out the leather.

I can sharpen by hand, and I can polish by hand...I've done it my whole life. But the WE is precise & repeatable. It makes it so easy to put a custom edge on your blades.

That's where these sharpening jigs shine. Repeatability. You truly can get a repeatable bevel angle, over and over again. As a result, you take off far less metal with each sharpening. I can hand sharpen to a mirror finish, but I can't get a true and repeated angle. Honestly, my angles are all over the place, cuz I don't have jig hands and I don't sharpen all day, everyday, day in, day out.
JohnH12, there's nothing wrong with sticking with what works. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Weeeellllll, if you are looking to get some reps in i have an older set of Henkles that dont really have much of an edge left. I am not too far from you!

Weeeellllll, if you are looking to get some reps in i have an older set of Henkles that dont really have much of an edge left. I am not too far from you!

Mike...hey neighbor! When I get to the point of some confidence, you got it. I'm still holding my Miyabi back till I get to that point, but it won't be long. :wink:

I have an EdgePro and really like it. I can get knives razor sharp if that’s what I want.

Mike...hey neighbor! When I get to the point of some confidence, you got it. I'm still holding my Miyabi back till I get to that point, but it won't be long. :wink:

Definitely get the Low Angle Adapter before tackling that Miyabi. And an angle cube if you don't have one.

That's next on my list, although I'v been told that I may be able to sharpen it with the standard vise, depending on the exact angle. I already have an angle cube for use with my honing guides. We'll see about the Miyabi...

Don't hold me to it, but I believe Miyabi is down around 10*...give or take. Something like a Shun is 16* from the factory I think.

I do remember doing a brief search on their site and found that the Miyabi that I have is supposed to have a 26* total bevel, however I do remember others saying it was closer to an actual 30* or 15* per side. At any rate, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have the low angle adapter handy when I go to sharpen it. I have the Gen 3 and it does go down to 13*, plus an additional 1/2* adjustment, so it is possible...I think.

Back