Picanha - Slow N Sear - Weber Summit Kamado

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have been meaning to use my Slow N Sear in my Weber Summit Kamado. It's about an 1/4 inch to tall maybe but I don't think it hurts anything.

Saw a nice picanha and decided to give a go.

Seasoned with Killer Hogs Texas Brisket Rub with an added layer of black pepper.

27THXtal.jpg

Cooked indirect till 120 IT then seared directly over the coals.

0Ggd2bOl.jpg

PX7epxVl.jpg

KsM43AEl.jpg

Served with rice and caprese.
4VJjuN6l.jpg

Thanks,

Matt

Looks great! Since they don’t make a slow n sear specifically for the summit kamado, how does the normal one work? Xl version or just normal for a 22 kettle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks great! Since they don’t make a slow n sear specifically for the summit kamado, how does the normal one work? Xl version or just normal for a 22 kettle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It was the SNS for a standard 22 Kettle. It lifted the hinges part of the grate up maybe between an 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Hardly noticable.

You see it in this pic.

7c8a03eb6d6bb3a5f1d55eaeee5f899a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I am not a fan of the fat cap, but did you remove it? A lot of members here buy this cut just for that fat cap.
I prefer the fat cap on but there is a local market close to me that regularly has them with the far cap already removed. I can call them and request one with the fat cap on but I rarely plan a day or two ahead.

I prefer the fat cap on but there is a local market close to me that regularly has them with the far cap already removed. I can call them and request one with the fat cap on but I rarely plan a day or two ahead.

Like i said, I am not a fan of the Fat Cap. I would rather eat your Picanha, then any of the members here with that fat cap. Don't get me wrong, i like a little bit of fat charred on the edges of a steak, but left on the top intentionally. No thanks.
That said, i am trying to say your version trumps all.

Fat cap equals weight, weight equals additional cost.
Unless you enjoy eating a thick chunk o'fat, why pay for it?
Ed

Picanha is a great cut with or without the fat cap. When I eat a ribeye there is always a pile of fat left on my plate but there is something about the fat cap on picanha. Love it!!

You see them bend the picanha over to skewer it - fat cap outside.
I would never buy it w/o the fat cap. I also use real butter, full fat yogurt,
cream, etc., in all my cooking There's no substitute for flavor.

Yours came out great, mycork, but - only one piece? I would eat 3 pieces, and nibble on

some more.

I've not cook a Picanha, but will not hesitate to buy one when I see it. Yours looks really good.

Back