If a 10 lb brisket trims to 8 lbs...

captjoe06

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Should you figure your cook time based on the purchased before trimming weight or the post trimming weight.

I know "it's done when it's done" I'm just looking for rough idea and advice on when to start it if I'd like to serve it between 3-4PM.

I usually smoke between 250-280F

Will be using the snake method with a foil pan underneath on a Weber 22 inch kettle.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Joey

www.northeastbbq.com

I did one the same pre and post trim size on Labor Day. Same temp range but on my 22 WSM. I put it on at 8:30, wrapped in foil at 1:30 and it was done at 4:00. Straight into a cooler in the foil(no venting) in towels until 7:00 then served. One of the best I've done. If you want to eat at 3:30 you probably need to have it on by 6:00 am so it can rest at least two hours. Good luck.

I usually allow at least 12 hours for my briskets at 225. I sometimes wrap them in foil when the internal temp hits 160. I pull them at 204 internal. Then without unwrapping them I put them in a cooler with some towels to hold till it's time to slice. They will stay hot for hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2XhfxS0INg

What I learned in this cook was that no matter what, you have to be patient and wait for the brisket to be probe tender.

This Brisket reached 204 degrees internal but wasn’t probe tender, enetered a stall, temps retreated even with steady 250 degree pit temps all the way from 204 back down to 189. It wasn’t probe tender until it came back up to 195F.

Patience.

Back