THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

briancc

Found some matches.
I'll be smoking my first brisket in my KBQ Easter weekend and wanted some advice. I ordered a Snake River Farms Gold Grade Wagyu brisket in the smallest size, 9-12 lbs. and it's being delivered Tuesday so it will have time to thaw. I like to use OakRidge BBQ Black Ops rub on beef and probably run the KBQ around 250 degrees. This crowd does not like a heavy smoke flavor so I plan on using red oak and wrapping in butcher paper when it hits the stall around 160 degrees. I'll spritz it periodically. I always use a water pan in my KBQ because it makes cleanup much easier and maybe? helps with moisture. What cooking time should I ROUGHLY anticipate? I'd like to finish a few hours earlier than the serving time of 7 pm and keep it wrapped in a cooler
My observations with other KBQ cooks is that due to the convection effect the cook times are a little faster than a regular smoker. Any suggestions?

I’ve cooked a few snake river waygu briskets and from my experience they cooked a little faster than your normal Costco or butcher brisket. Mine were around 15lbs and I wanna say cooked at about 45-50 minutes a pound instead of 1-1.25 hours a pound. I cooked them on a traeger at 250 and wrapped at the stall as well. You could literally cut the brisket slices into bites with a plastic fork. So having said all that I’m probably still starting it at 3am to give myself enough time.

I'll be smoking my 2nd brisket Friday. Haven't decided to go with Costco or local butcher shop option. I'll use my WSM 22.5" and probably oak/hickory.

Good luck!

I have cooked SRF wagyu briskets and I've cooked briskets in the KBQ. However I've never cooked a wagyu brisket in the KBQ so take this with a grain of salt.

I would say that yes it will take less time than usual due to both the KBQ convection and wagyu. If it was me I'd be putting it on between 6 and 7 in the morning, running at 250 with both poppets open, I find using just the bottom is too subtle, just the top will likely be too much smoke give your crowd's preferences. Once it gets to the color you're happy with wrap. You can increase the temp to help if get through the stall at this point. Should be probe tender mid afternoon giving it plenty of time to rest, which imho is just as, if not more, important that the cook.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I've cooked wagyu briskets in my KBQ, and I didn't notice a very significant time difference between it and prime as far as cook time goes. There probably is a slight difference but nothing that surprised me enough to commit it to memory.

I believe wagu cooks in less time Give yourself plenty of time If done early it will stay hot while resting in the cooler

Back