Kentucky Burgoo - Teaser

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I cooked up a pot of Kentucky burgoo today. It's been described as a soupy stew and a stewy soup. Either way, it's pretty tasty. In Kentucky, old timers tell us that they used to hold "burgoos" (events where huge kettles of burgoo were cooked) and the barbecue was the side show. This version is based on old recipes by famous Burgoo Kings like Gus Jaubert (19th century) and James Looney (early 20th century). Lots of slow cooked tender meats (pork, beef, chicken), spices (red pepper, curry), and veggies.

If you want the recipe, keep an eye out for the next issue of Smoke Signals and the "Barbecue Stews Part 2" article.

Burgoo_zps430c01be.jpg

Tease!

I made a version of Burgoo years ago. It was great! I'll be looking for your recipe!

They still have burgoos like that some parts of the state. Where I'm from, the next county over is the "burgoo capital" lol

Here is another pic. Yes, this stuff is delicious! Make sure you check out the next issue of Smoke Signals Magazine for the recipe!

Burgoo3_zps633ea8b9.jpg

It ain't KY Burgoo if it doesn't have at least a squirrel or rabbit in it

It ain't KY Burgoo if it doesn't have at least a squirrel or rabbit in it

I am working on getting both rabbits and squirrels to make burgoo and Brunswick stew. This fall may be the time as I am already scheduling some hunts into wild territory where the squirrels and rabbits don't eat food provided by or anything left behind by humans. ! I'm looking forward to it and will post results!

loved the article Boshizzle, nice writing and research

Back